Occasional micro-stutter on all media (1 Viewer)

Caesium

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2011
    Solihull
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The GT520 is in - the problem has immediately vanished. BBC News ticker is now flawless and I've been watching it with an eagle eye for about 5 minutes :)

So the onboard 6550D or ATI drivers would seem to be at fault? Shame the 11.4 cats wouldn't install. I'll give 11.9 a go when it's released, they're only at RC right now.

Caesium

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2011
    Solihull
    Home Country
    Well, had a bit more playing, and the problem was staring me in the face the entire time it seems, I mentioned it in my third post on this thread.

The onboard ATI card says the measured refresh of the TV is 49.873Hz (when it's 50Hz).
    The nvidia card says it's 49.998Hz - close enough.

This, I assume, is the problem, the ATI card is wrongly detecting the refresh rate, so occasionally it has to correct by dropping a frame? What I don't know is how to fix it - I've previously tried the MP Audio Renderer with no effect. ReClock only works on recorded media as I understand it, not live TV, so that's no good.

I also tried the 11.9RC cats and they did the same thing. Starting to wonder if it's a hardware incompatibility issue - I'll try another TV :)

Caesium

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2011
    Solihull
    Home Country
    Another datapoint.

I tried another TV and the problem did not occur (though it still said the refresh was 49.873Hz so maybe that's a red herring).

At this point I'm not sure what else to try. The TV that worked with the onboard ATI is a Panasonic TX-32LZD81. The one that gives the frame skpping is a Samsung UE46D8000. Anyway it's clearly not a MediaPortal problem, so sorry for the noise :)

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    all this info is gold ..dont worry =)

i myself had my graphics card die and im getting an nvidia gt430 .. still waiting for it to be delivered ( its an older card but i hear its got everything needed for a htpc to thrive.. even over the new 520 )

ill be posting soon with my experience soon

im particularly having suttering problems with HD channels here in australia(mpeg2 video and ac3 audio). Im using a server pc -> client pc setup. Recordings dont stutter with VLC but they do with the ms DVT codec(which other than that is absolutely brilliant) ... i can see the ms codec with Hd channels work 100% fine for days.. but its on particular programs(sports) that i find it stutters... i hope i can fix it with this new card... and ill put up some info soon if i can.

EDIT: hmm im using a similar tv.. the Samsung UA46C7000WF 46" LED 3D
    You dont happen to use 200hz? Trumotion plus or whatever its called?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Caesium: the info and investigation results may be helpful to other people, so no need to apologise. :)
    My experience recently has been that some codecs are better at handling frame/refresh rate matching "issues". Might be worth trying a handful of other codecs to see if they also exhibit the same behaviour.

mm

Kiwi

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2006
    Pukerua Bay
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Im also tracking this thread! Ive had stuttering problems since changing to a full HD TV (1080) from a HD ready TV (1368 x 768 or whatever it was). Im 99% convinced its not MP and have tried all sorts of codecs, but have been waiting for 1.2 to come out for a fresh rebuild. Hoping it may have been my graphics card, I upgraded to GTX 550Ti, but problem persisted. Subjective testing last night I get a stutter once every 2 minutes, yet nothing in logs, nothing in perf monitor, nothing in latency :-(. The "shift 1" lines are straight.
    Anyway, now 1.2 is out, Im rebuilding from a ghost and will see what happens.
    Thanks to all MP devs while Im at it:D

Caesium

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2011
    Solihull
    Home Country
    EDIT: hmm im using a similar tv.. the Samsung UA46C7000WF 46" LED 3D
    You dont happen to use 200hz? Trumotion plus or whatever its called?

It's called just Motion Plus on my TV - I've tried with it both on and off, but it doesn't seem to affect anything. To be honest I can't tell the difference with it on or off in any respect so I'm not even sure it's doing anything?

mm1352000 - I've been through a selection of codecs already (see first post) unless there's some you can suggest I've missed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom