Odd problem after switching to external player and going back. (1 Viewer)

kevinfreels

Portal Member
March 26, 2009
I was having a problem where movies (played from a share drive over my LAN) would stop playing and return me back to the summary page at random times. I eventually nailed down the culprit - my router was going bad. I replace the router and all is fine now.

But while I was troubleshooting, I had tried various codecs and eventually changed to using VLC as an external program to play my movies. This didn't fix it of course, but now that I solved the problem I went back to using the internal player and using the ffdshow codecs. However, now it won't play a movie at all using the internal player. Instead I get a bunch of weird screen refreshes that seem to be adjusting the screen display sizes and then it goes back to the main menu but at a different display resolution. I don't recall changing anything to do with the display when troubleshooting. When I put it back on the external player it all works fine. I can only assume I changed something that I shouldn't have.

Is there a way to return these settings to the default without screwing up the rest of my config? Is there perhaps a list with all of the default configurations that I could look through and choose those that seem to make the most sense? Any other suggestions or magic fixes?

Bernard

Portal Pro
March 5, 2012
Centurion
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
Hi Kevin,

I don't know what your problem is, but here is a config file from a clean installed MP 1.2.2, You can maybe look for differences in your file and this one and see what has changed. Use something like "WinMerge" to do comparison between text files, or just copy and paste the section that contains the "codec" settings to your file and see if your problem is gone.

You can even backup your file, and replace it with this file, just to see if your problem is in the config.

I got the file from this location in
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal
Windows 7: %AllUsersProfile%\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal

Attachments

• MediaPortal.xml
    28.6 KB

kevinfreels

Portal Member
March 26, 2009
Thanks. I tried that and I can't find the problem in the config file. I matched up anything that "might" be the problem and still no joy.
It's a very off problem. It does this both within Moving Pictures and on the standard videos section so I'm assuming it is a problem with the default player.
When I choose the internal player, I have to click the play button twice for some reason when I select a movie. Then it hesitates for a bit, then the screen goes black for a bit. Then the screen flashes and I get the video information page that I was on in a different resolution. Then a flash of 203 different resolutions of the same page, a blank screen with an error and a path that happens too fast to read it, then back to the video information screen in a larger screen size with everything runs off the page. I have to close media portal at this point to use it since it is resized off the screen. I have no idea why it would do this. All I did was select the option of the external player, and then go back to the internal player.

I'm considering a re-install of media portal. Problem is, I have about 2000 movies that I've done a lot of custom work on in Moving Pictures. Will a reinstall break that?

Bernard

Portal Pro
March 5, 2012
Centurion
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
Hi Kevin,

The good news would be that your MP setup uses local Db files to store the information, my advice would be to just make a copy of the folder mentioned above, before you do a clean setup. After the setup, you need to copy back the Db's, fanart (just a bunch of images in a folder) and the settings xml files.

You should see easy identifiable files for the MovingPictures add-on in this same folder, the db is named something like "MovingPictures.db3" and the xml is also "MovingPictures.xml". If you don't see this, then wait till someone can help us identify the locations of the Add-On settings.

kevinfreels

Portal Member
March 26, 2009
Well. I got it all sorted out. I uninstalled MP and reinstalled it. All is well now. Thanks for the tips. Wish I knew what happened though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom