old install adding freesat tuning probs (1 Viewer)

mdbarber

Portal Pro
February 19, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi guys system is running fine with mepo 1.5 as later breaks my fav plugins so thought I would treat myself to new dvbsky tuner card with hd as one of my older tuners has failed.
Sat dish went in to day attempted to tune card using 28.2 *E 2E,2F,2G Astra and get a fair few channels but many of the ones listed on freest web page are missing such as 5HD, any tips for a sat noob?
Tia mdb

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

as later breaks my fav plugins
    Forgive my curiousity, but would you be able to tell me which plugins you're referring to?

get a fair few channels but many of the ones listed on freest web page are missing such as 5HD, any tips for a sat noob?
    Before starting the scan:
    1. Click "update satellite list" in order to ensure that TV Server has the complete transponder list.
    2. Tick "enable DVB-S2 channels tuning/scanning" on each of the scan pages for all your tuners. HD channels are often transmitted using DVB-S2. If you don't tick that option then those channels won't be found or tunable.
    Those are the most common things people miss. If those tips don't help, please provide your log files (click "open log directory" in the top left corner of TV Server Config, zip all the files in that directory, and attach the zip file to your post using "upload a file" button) and specify at least 3 channels that you're missing. Without those details it won't be possible to help you.

Regards,
    mm

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    Hi mate, don't think it's mepo's fault as getting similar effect with cards own software, although found a lot more channels with own software (389)
    With mepo its sky channels, some " unknown ***** " ones, some Asian channels but nearly all the uk channels are missing
    To name 3, 5 HD, the box, kerrang, any help would be appreciated, got another card to test but it has no HD only dvbs, all dvbt/t2 are fine on cards other tuner.
    Am on the edge of Scotland maybe guy hasn't aligned dish properly unf it's very high up lol

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ahhh, a fellow XP user. :D

To name 3, 5 HD, the box, kerrang...
    Right, okay.

I can see that TV Server does scan the appropriate transponders (based on channel location/transponder info from KingOfSat). However in all cases the tuner either fails to lock on signal or finds the wrong channels.

From a wider perspective, it looks like your scan is finding some of the right channels but on unexpected frequencies/transponders.

My guess is that one of two things is true:
    1. The dish and/or LNB are not aligned correctly.
    2. Your LNB setting ("band type") is incorrect.
    Are you certain that you have a "universal" LNB, because it sure doesn't look like it?

If possible, if I were you I would contact the person/company who installed the dish and ask them what type of LNB they installed. Specifically: ask them "what is the LNB's local oscillator frequency (LOF) or frequencies?". I tried to figure it out from the scan results, but the value I worked out seemed totally implausible...

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    XP, if it ain't broke don't fix it! getting annoyed with the ads on windows 10 on my main desktop, scandal.

cheers mate, have dropped the guy a message, no experience of sat stuff myself as always used freeview, is there a more likely band type i can try whilst waiting on him to get back to me?

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    is there a more likely band type i can try whilst waiting on him to get back to me?
    No. The type you've been using ("Ku-Linear (Universal)") is the most commonly used in Europe. My understanding is that it really is almost universal there. None of the other options make sense right now based on what I saw in your log files.

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    umm, they guy said he used a signal meter and got a reading of 95% and when it does pick up channels it works fine, the chilled and clubland channels work fine in ME.PO but don't get the 4 box channels not any of the typical UK ones weird. hopefully the guy will know, have an old PCTV twin DVB-s card lying around might see if i can squeeze that in just to make sure it;'s not the DVBSky card.

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    Well tried the cards own version of dvbviewer, similar results and set up a diff pc with an old pinnacle 7010i (obvsly deselecting s2 options) I had around, using latest dvbviewer gave odd results as well.
    The installer is coming back tomorrow but from a pm he says the lnb is described as a "skyuniversal"...most of the channels detected in a scan are listed as either coming from bskyb or have no provider listed, no mention of "freesat"

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    umm, they guy said he used a signal meter and got a reading of 95% and when it does pick up channels it works fine
    So this implies that the dish alignment is okay. Everything else you've reported most likely implies that either (a) the LNB settings are wrong as previously mentioned, or (b) the LNB is faulty. I've never heard of a "skyuniversal", so my guess is that the LNB is faulty.

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    So this implies that the dish alignment is okay. Everything else you've reported most likely implies that either (a) the LNB settings are wrong as previously mentioned, or (b) the LNB is faulty. I've never heard of a "skyuniversal", so my guess is that the LNB is faulty.

ah bugger hadn't noticed he left me a message saying he can't come till tues, sooo wanting to see this in action..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom