Online Videos and manually updating (1 Viewer)

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Good evening

I never was able to solve my TLS problems and my Online Videos installation is now getting seriously outdated
    (here: Update error: "Automatic update disabled. Check your internet connection")

Given that the update process seems to be copying files from Github across to the program folders, is there any reason why I could not just download them manually from Github (using another machine and USB stick for example) and then paste them into my installation manually?

If this is a reasonable idea, please does anyone have a list of the files that I need to obtain from Github?

Many thanks
    RH

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Rob,
    Sad to hear you're still having issues with that...
    There hasn't been an onlinevideos release in quite some time now so you're probably still uptodate for the main plugin.
    Updated sites however are still happening every now and then, but those are coming from offbyone's server, not from github.
    It might be that having an error somehow blocks the siteutils update, not sure about that....
    Can you see if there are recent files in this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\plugins\Windows\OnlineVideos? That would at least be a good sign siteutils are still being updated

Also checking an url in a browser is quite irrelevant when investigating tls/ssl issues, as browsers use completely different software than .NET/OnlineVideos/Mediaportal uses to connect to the internet... (rather annoying because the .NET tls support is really lagging behind the current browsers, especially on older systems)

Having said that, I still have win7 at my dev-machine and don't have the issues you are seeing. But you're more than welcome to ask/compare settings etc

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    Hi Paul,

The most recent update is the ministerk.dll which was 27/10/2020

browsers use completely different software than .NET/OnlineVideos/Mediaportal uses to connect to the internet

I think the core program is working ok. It could be a .NET problem I suppose but I have got the TLS options for 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 all enabled in my internet setting. I had wondered if it was a firewall issue, but I am not expert enough to work it out. I had hoped adding sites to my trusted internet sites would let data through but if you are saying .NET uses a different method of connection, then this idea is probably stymied. I doubt that even if I did know where Offbyone's server was hosted that I would get a good result if .NET ignores the trusted sites.

So it looks like brute force is the way forward. If I could get hold of the most up to date site DLLs and the most recent OnilineVideoSites.xml and just paste them over the top of the existing ones, I was hoping that might work.

I have a Windows 10 machine running in my office for work purposes and in due course I may install Mediaportal on to that and then just copy and paste the site hoster DLLs etc across to my Windows 7 machine that I use for leisure and TV in the living room, but I can't do that just at the moment.

Or maybe I could try importing the sites XML directly from within the Online Videos plugin configuration (top left menu item on Sites tab in the plugin menu) if some kind soul could send me an export.

I am a bit stuck at the moment. The main core program seems to work ok, but the sites are steadily breaking and going out of date.

Best wishes
    RH

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    here you are.
    onlinevideos.xml you can download from github: mp-onlinevideos2/OnlineVideoSites.xml at master · offbyoneBB/mp-onlinevideos2
    Thank you so much, I have downloaded and then cut and pasted the files into their respective locations and iPlayer has its subcategories restored and a few of the broken sites that I had are now back and working. I think it proves that the core program is fine, but there is a problem with the internet connection. I have no idea what.

What I did was paste the DLLs into the correct plugin sub directory, and the OnlineVideosSites.xml into the correct ProgramData location, and then I went into the plugin configuration, and I did a Global import of the sites from the menu, selecting everything on offer. It added the sites no problem.

When I am able to install MP on my other machine (probably in a week or two) then if the internet connection works on that, I shall be able to do this manual update for myself in the future, but I am so grateful to you for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom