Onscreen keyboard to still accept input from real keyboard (1 Viewer)

Nikki Locke

Portal Pro
February 2, 2019
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
It would be nice if the on-screen keyboard still accepted input from the real keyboard - in other words, you can either move the cursor to "A" on the on-screen keyboard and press OK, or type the letter A on the real keyboard (or "22" if you have phone style input selected, perhaps?).

Nikki Locke

Portal Pro
February 2, 2019
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
a) It's a bit confusing when you use the mouse. If you click on a field, the keyboard pops up. If you click again on the field, a different keyboard pops up (the Alt Gr one). Is there a reason for that?

b) It would be handy when using the remote control and the cell phone style input setting. You could type in letters using the number keys, but use the on-screen keyboard for tricky stuff like punctuation.

Only putting it up here for discussion, in case anyone else thinks it is a good idea.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If you click on a field, the keyboard pops up
    We often have that kind of discussions in the forum (and the request section).

Keep in mind that MP2 is a HTPC software that is supposed to be controled with a remote. Everything else is a kind of add-on and confusion arises when users mix different input modes. That said, using MP2 with a keyboard and a remote leads to the observed effect. When the mouse cursor hovers over a field or a MP2 control element, this will automatically get the focus. Simply don't click but activate the entry field by moving the cursor into it, then type on the keyboard.

It would be handy when using the remote control and the cell phone style input setting. You could type in letters using the number keys, but use the on-screen keyboard for tricky stuff like punctuation.
    Yeah. But how often do you happen to need such kind of input?

Only putting it up here for discussion,
    That's fine. Nobody should feel steam-rolled please. However, going further you'll notice that there is other stuff that is not as elegant as we would like it to be. If I had ten Nikkis at my hand, I would probably say, please go for it. As it stands, your energy is possibly better be used in other areas.

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

Keep in mind that MP2 is a HTPC software that is supposed to be controled with a remote. Everything else is a kind of add-on and confusion arises when users mix different input modes. That said, using MP2 with a keyboard and a remote leads to the observed effect. When the mouse cursor hovers over a field or a MP2 control element, this will automatically get the focus. Simply don't click but activate the entry field by moving the cursor into it, then type on the keyboard.

Yeah. But how often do you happen to need such kind of input?

this is a keyboard AND a remote -> MCE Keyboard

It is very handy for searching the mediathek libraries and YouTube in the Online Videos Plugin. Also for searching for movies and series in the 'search programs' part of the TV section.

Cheers

Blue Max

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It is very handy
    No doubt. May I ask if your wife or partner is using this? Mine would give me a hard time if I took the remote away from here and asked her to use such a device instead.:D I am also having a wireless Keyboard with roller ball mouse and media keys ready, but use the remote 99% of the time.

This is not meant to convert anybody, but simply that the attempt to please everybody and every possible scenario is set to fail.

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

she learned to use the real keyboard after attempting to use the onscreen keyboard :p

Cheers

Blue Max

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom