Open ports of TVservice (1 Viewer)

koala84

Portal Member
December 7, 2008
Home Country
Austria Austria
Hi all,

fist at all, i'm using MediaPortal since some month, and i'm really glad with it. Great work!
It's not a big problem, but there is something i'm concerned about. TvSevice uses some ports (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/get-support-90/tv-server-ports-11579/) to stream or accept commands.
These ports must be accessible from the internet. If i configure the firewall to make these ports accessible only from localhost, the MediaPortal client can't connect to TVservice. (MP client is on the same machine)
For mysql i must do the same. Is it a problem, if anyone from the internet can connect to tvservice's port 31456? Is it possible, that someone can stop a recording, that is currently running, or something? (Mysql needs a password and it's configured to accept connections only from localhost, even the port 3306 is accessible from the outside. But Tvservice dosn't need any password for port 31456 i guess.)

I don't plan to use Tvservice in a LAN. I use VNC to do any remote thing :)

Thanx for your help,
Daniel

[EDIT]
I have only an ADSL modem, not a router, so i'm directly connected to the internet.

Does someone have an idea to this?

Leon_Gjerland

Portal Pro
February 1, 2005
Home Country
Norway Norway
I would check the modem-configuration.

You don't say much about your network-configuration, so I am speaking generally.

ADSL-modems can normally be configured in router- or bridge-mode.

In bridge-mode, all internet-traffic is passed directly to your PC, and it will be accessible directly from the internet.

In router-mode it acts like a firewall, and translates local IP-adresses to the modem's WAN adress, which is the only adress visible from the internet. But if the modem is set up with port forwarding (typically used for fileshareing, intenetgames etc), local machines can still be accessed from the internet.
If all ports are forwarded, one computer could be "wide open".

koala84

Portal Member
December 7, 2008
Home Country
Austria Austria
I would check the modem-configuration.

You don't say much about your network-configuration, so I am speaking generally.

ADSL-modems can normally be configured in router- or bridge-mode.

In bridge-mode, all internet-traffic is passed directly to your PC, and it will be accessible directly from the internet.

In router-mode it acts like a firewall, and translates local IP-adresses to the modem's WAN adress, which is the only adress visible from the internet. But if the modem is set up with port forwarding (typically used for fileshareing, intenetgames etc), local machines can still be accessed from the internet.
If all ports are forwarded, one computer could be "wide open".

The modem is a d-link 360t (i guess...). It seems, it works in bridge mode, because i set up the pppoe connection on the pc and not in the modem. The problem is, i can't reach the webinterface of the modem. I'm not even sure, if it has one:)? The ip address of the machine is that, what i get from the isp, and not 192.168.1.1 or similar and the firewall is running on the pc and not on the modem.
But reading your words, i guess it isn't a good thing, if the control port of tvservice is open to the internet, or?

Thanx again,
Daniel

Leon_Gjerland

Portal Pro
February 1, 2005
Home Country
Norway Norway
If the TV-service control port is the only port accessible from the internet, I don't think the risk is very high.
Anyway I would considered changing to "router-mode".

Refer to the manual found here: ftp://ftp.dlink.de/dsl/dsl-360t/documentation/DSL-360t_man_en_Manual-040304.pdf

Make sure you have your username and password for the PPoE connection to your ISP.

To reset your modem, remove power, press and hold the reset-button (use a pen, or somtihing) for 10 seconds while reconnecting power.
Renew the the computers IP-address (IPCONFIG /RENEW). If you do'nt get an IP-address like 192.168.1.x, set your address manually to 192.168.1.10. You might have to delete your PC's PPoE setting. (I am not using PPoe, so I am not sure about this.)
Connect to the modem at address http://192.168.1.1 and configure according to the manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom