Optimal settings of LAVF for ATI graphics card (1 Viewer)

somy

Portal Pro
March 7, 2010
Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi,

Is there a recommanded settings of LAVF that works best with ATI graphics card?
The EVR renderer does a pretty bad job converting YUV to RGB, and it produces lots of banding due to the lack of proper dithering, so DXVA2 native isn't an option. On the other hand, if we let LAVF output RGB, EVR lose the possibility to do hardware deinterlacing.
Is it possible to get both HW deinterlacing and banding-free image?

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    The EVR renderer does a pretty bad job converting YUV to RGB, and it produces lots of banding due to the lack of proper dithering, so DXVA2 native isn't an option.
    Isn't that more a driver issue, than an issue with EVR directly?

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Well, I have searched around a bit. What display device do you have? Anyway within the driver you only have the following possibilites

- Video -> Advanced Color -> Dynamic Range
    - Pixel format (in the properties of each individual Display)

So, for instance, if you set the dynamic range to 16-235 and the pixel format output to 'Limited RGB', you'll have a range of 16-235 from beginning to end, if you watch YCbCr content (if I understand this correctly), thus eliminating the need for expanding and dithering.

somy

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi Spooky, I'm using Panasonic PT-AE3000 projector.
    It seems to me that no matter output RGB or YCrCb, it will always be converted to RGB first inside the graphics card. The luma expansion and chroma upscale are both carried out when during this stage, and this causes low PQ IMO.
    I actually set pixel forma to RGB to avoid another convertion from RGB to YCrCb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom