Organizing Movie Series (1 Viewer)

Lehm

Portal Member
September 13, 2009
Hey all. Been using an older version of Moving Pictures for awhile. Just decided it was time to update. Noticed at some point categories were introduced. Cool but they don't seem to work like I'd imagined they would. I think it would be more intuitive if the movies were listed by title / series, with the individual movies being expandable subitems. See attached for exactly what I'm talking about. what do you think?

Attachments

• movingpictures_seriesalt.jpg
    movingpictures_seriesalt.jpg
    451.4 KB

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This is exactly how I hoped categories would work, meaning bundling movies in a set and expand it. So far the current categories are useless for me. I don't want to have several dozen of them on top level but instead inside the movie list.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    DieBagger is right, you'd have to drill down to a new view to see the grouped movies. But regardless we will be implementing this in the future.

Lehm

Portal Member
    September 13, 2009
    Hmmm. Ok well perhaps there's another way to do it. How hard would it be to put a new 'series' item into your database? Then if that is not blank it would change the sort order to series + release year + sort order when being read from the database. Also add a dash to the beginning of the display title. Then all you'd have to do is add a non functioning item (is that possible?) with the series name.

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    You can do them as cd1, cd2 etc. and it will ask which disc when you click it like a multipart movie and obviously disc 1 is part 1 and so on. This is just a temporary workaround until its done right.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    You can do them as cd1, cd2 etc. and it will ask which disc when you click it like a multipart movie and obviously disc 1 is part 1 and so on. This is just a temporary workaround until its done right.

You can also send all the collection movies back to the importer, multi-select them by holding CTRL key inside the importer and use that green little icon that splits to merge them. That way you do not have to rename them for the auto-join. You can also do this manually from the file details menu, as well as adjust the order on the multiparts. You can then rename the title to something that makes you know you are dealing with a collection, such as "Back To The Future: I, II & III", but it will always start the first one as you loose the ability to directly select the part you want, however you can skip to the next part easy either direct, or via context-menu.

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country

You can also send all the collection movies back to the importer, multi-select them by holding CTRL key inside the importer and use that green little icon that splits to merge them. That way you do not have to rename them for the auto-join. You can also do this manually from the file details menu, as well as adjust the order on the multiparts. You can then rename the title to something that makes you know you are dealing with a collection, such as "Back To The Future: I, II & III", but it will always start the first one as you loose the ability to directly select the part you want, however you can skip to the next part easy either direct, or via context-menu.

Good to know I don't do it so didn't know this trick. thanks might come in handy sometime.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Good to know I don't do it so didn't know this trick. thanks might come in handy sometime.

Yeah, it's what I use myself to bundle bonus features, or trailers to a movie entry. Then I adjust the order in file menu. Workaround till something better gets coded into MovPic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom