OS choice (1 Viewer)

Jinux

Portal Member
July 18, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Yes i disabled the animations. So blackmyst, huh. Okay, i'll give that a try too. Thank you very much for the try outs you all giving me. I will go and test now, if blackmyst gives some more speed. :)

tangmonster

Portal Pro
February 1, 2007
cape town
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
I would love to find out if vista starter edition would work , since it is half the price of xp home even.

Vista Starter edition is only being sold in third world markers. As far as I'm aware, no pricing for it has been announced.

Well here in South Africa , I can buy it for R340. which comes down to more or less $50.

So at least here it is an option. Xp home edition about than 2.5 times that much. And this is wholesale prices i get through a friend at importers.

On a media centre pc I just don't care about flashy gui or anything , if i could i would use windows 95. I am looking for a cheap option for a OS for future media centre pc's and at this stage starter edition looks like it.

Jinux

Portal Member
July 18, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Vista s*cks ! pardon my language :oops: The consumers commision in the netherlands says so too. They started a website for consumers that can put complaines about vista on that site. I wish Bill was more like us. So the computer technologie would be much further now then it will ever be, if you know what i mean.

Oh well, i tried all the things on my 400 mhz low end computer, and it is still slow, but it works. I am laughing my brains out. Now, if this works i wonder what happends when i install a tv card into this little low end machine. I go try, and you will hear. Have a nice day all... ;)

And again, pardon my language. :oops:

Ohw, here is a link to that website of the consumentenbond (it is in dutch) :
http://www2.consumentenbond.nl/acties/7351392/?ticket=nietlid

tangmonster

Portal Pro
February 1, 2007
cape town
Home Country
Vista s*cks ! pardon my language :oops: The consumers commision in the netherlands says so too. They started a website for consumers that can put complaines about vista on that site. I wish Bill was more like us. So the computer technologie would be much further now then it will ever be, if you know what i mean.

Oh well, i tried all the things on my 400 mhz low end computer, and it is still slow, but it works. I am laughing my brains out. Now, if this works i wonder what happends when i install a tv card into this little low end machine. I go try, and you will hear. Have a nice day all... ;)

And again, pardon my language. :oops:

Ohw, here is a link to that website of the consumentenbond (it is in dutch) :
http://www2.consumentenbond.nl/acties/7351392/?ticket=nietlid

Well I felt the same way about xp a few years back.... And i would like to have reasons why vista sucks / won't work.

So blackmyst didn't do it for you? it helped my setup a lot.

is it the gui that is slow? or searching and browsing?

Are you using the databsae features , to me its a bit faster than scrolling through shares. Are you using things like thumbnail pics and so fourth?

I think your biggest problem is the gui and graphics. If you are serious about getting that pc running as a media pc , you could always try to design your own low power skin with as little as possible.

Jinux

Portal Member
July 18, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Vista s*cks, because :

- My wireless tornado ethernet card did not work, until i downloaded new drivers, luckely i have a multi boot.
- Lots of media playing on xp, does not play on vista, i need to get new drivers for my HD Audio card.
- My Compact Flash software does not work. It just stops.
- Everytime i try to install something, it comes up with this irritating warning 2 times, if i am sure to do what i am doing.
- Printersharing standard setting is, printing with a password, this is on. So no printersharing, until i found this option was set to 1. It needs to be set on 0, if i like to use the printer in my network. (without a password.)
- My asus mypal 636 software give blue screens, need to find that out. I go look on the asus site in a while, they should have a option waiting for me.
- Nero did not work, i needed to get an update first.
- I have a pentium 4, 3,6 GHz. 2048 RAM, 512 Geforce. I get a graphic number of 1,0 out of 10. This is that aero blah blah blah.
- Unreal Tournament 2004 editor is giving strange behaviour when i go to the landscape screen and add a static mash.
- Pinnacle pctv needs a new driver
- It screwed up the multiboot process. It boots, multi multi.
- Sonic foundry vegas does not work. It quits after loading.
- When i install a new computer in the network. I can see that computer and look on it. When i go to that computer it has no priviliges to get on the vista pc. Tried almost everything. The otherway around works ok.
- Fruty Loops 4.0 will not start.
- - - And So On !!!

Yes it is the GUI that is giving probs. Yes design my own skin, i have to go and read about that how i can do that. How nice, yet another project brew, its like i have to much spare time ..... not !!! May be i will find out, how to make my own skin in a few weeks from now.

Thanks for your replies :)

tangmonster

Portal Pro
February 1, 2007
cape town
Home Country
512 Geforce doesn't say much.... ;)

And i Agree , for my home PC i will stick to XP for at least another year. Before trying vista.

I am just saying i like the idea of a vista starter option with no aero graphics and bling , for the people who wants to do normale things like go on the internet and run office software.

I have had a few friends that bought new laptops and asked me to help them to set it back to normal xp style.
Not everyone wants the flashy see through gui with flowers everywhere ,many people jsut want a simple operating system that uses the least amount of resources to do the job.

Jinux

Portal Member
July 18, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I am having another problem that has nothing to do with the type of OS, but maybe someone here can help me with it ?

I always used a universal remote on media portal. The only thing that never worked were the extended buttons. The remote is broke, so i now bought a logitech harmony 1000. Nice one, but i like to use the extended buttons now. When the extended buttons work, i can push, for example, guide, and media portal goes to the guide. Push pictures and it goes to pictures, puse music it goes to music. But when i press left or right up or down it takes 2 steps. Debounce, i know. But when i fix the debounce, the extended buttons doent work anymore. I getting crazy over here, aaaahhhwww. Anyone has a solution to this ???? Sorry i am in the wrong thread, i go look now for the good thread...

Regards Jinux.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom