OSD Zap delay in milliseconds ms (1 Viewer)

infabo

Portal Member
October 24, 2009
Home Country
Austria Austria
AW: Re: OSD Zap delay in milliseconds ms

I agree that the "0" resulting in lockup is a bug - let's see if MP team can reproduce it. I can anyway ;)

I haven't seen a bur report thread about the issue. Someone please open such so this issue wont get lost. In any case it is not a show stopper issue since it can be avoided with quite ease by not selecting zero as the setting. So, something to be fixed in 1.2.0.

but here are logs -> https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-1-1-0-rc-1-2-496/zap-delay-0-causes-hangs-80093/

arneman

Portal Pro
February 20, 2007
Oldenburg
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: OSD Zap delay in milliseconds ms

yostick said:
Where would be the benefit of setting this to 0.1 second?
It is that way, that mp waits this time BEFORE it starts changing the channel, or not? And that means, that changing the channel takes the time it "naturally" needs (tuning etc..) + zapping delay time. The name says everything, "zapping delay".

I understand your reasons for "feature freeze". I just know PHP, VB6,..: There you always work with ms. So i guess this is just introduced for enabling user to enter seconds instead of ms (usability). BUT: If you change the validation to fix the bug and not allow a value of 0, it would be efficient to just enhance it in the described way and allow decimal values, too.

I think we all agree:
Zapping must to be fast. I think you guys spent a lot of time to tweak this step by step to gain a few ms. On the other hand, you "loose" 1000ms by a simple zap action. The words zapping means : "quickly scanning through different television channels or radio frequencies in order to find something interesting to watch" (wikipedia). So "zap delay" is a contradiction in terms.

In never understood the logic behind this function, because if the user press ChanUP on his remote he wants MP to change channel. It is that plain and simple! If you want to know what is currently running on the other channels before you choose, you use Mini EPG or EPG.

And as people say, when I set it to 0, MP hangs... Because of that I ALWAYS use MINI EPG to change channels. My girlfriend use chanDown/Up buttons and reported these freezes-issue several times.

If the "feature freeze" is the problem (of bureaucracy): Just delete zapping delay function, that would be better than it is now. OR: Let the user deactivate it by entering 0

Regards

Arne

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: OSD Zap delay in milliseconds ms

PS: 2-5 seconds? not even my cheap terratec tv-card need that much time to tune in a channel, and as far as I can remember my FloppyDTV was even much faster than that..

unfortunately not with DVB-C and scrambled channels, 1-2 secs are possible only on the same transponder, for me.

cheers
    joystick

yostick said:
    Where would be the benefit of setting this to 0.1 second?
    Just delete zapping delay function,

Regards

Arne

sorry but I disagree, I find it very handy to zap through the channel info and then switch to the desired channel.

That's the way live is: ten people have ten different opinions, thats why MP has so many functions, however if you experience a bug, it should be reported/fixed.....

cheers
    joystick

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: OSD Zap delay in milliseconds ms

In never understood the logic behind this function, because if the user press ChanUP on his remote he wants MP to change channel. It is that plain and simple! If you want to know what is currently running on the other channels before you choose, you use Mini EPG or EPG.

If I remember correctly the zap delay is there for a reason: Since whole TVE3 engine interface in synchronous user would have to wait for the tuning to complete before issuing a new channel request. So skipping two channels would take extra time if it would be always forced to zero.

What comes to feature freeze:

• Even if it feels stupid to have some "extra" bureaucracy, it is needed to be able to ship a product this large as MP is.
    • All developers and features are and will be threaded as equals. So no shortcuts to the process are possible.

So, what comes to the issues:

• Zero delay causing issues. Not a critical, to be scheduled to be fixed in 1.2.0
    • Possibility to use ms as delay. To be checked if someone wants to implement the changes for 1.2.0 (after all we cannot force anyone to write such :))

manyakim

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 20, 2005
    Zeeland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I certainly would encourage to change zap delays to ms instead of seconds.
    Also appriciate all the work and efforts to create this magnificent piece of software.

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: OSD Zap delay in milliseconds ms

I think this was already implemented some time ago.

logifuse

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Using 0 works fine for me (has since 1.1.2) - you still have enough time to enter a 3 digit channel number (using a stock MS remote/receiver & a Logitech Harmony One with a Hauppauge RC6 receiver.

omerfarukozer

Portal Member
    April 4, 2010
    Home Country
    Turkey Turkey
    Hi,

Setting 0 as zapping value is a totally different story. If you set 0, you cannot change lets say 2 channels ahead. You have to wait for the tuning of the first channel. If you set a value more than 0 MP allows pressing channel up/down buttons multiple times.

Unfortunately the minimum value is 1 second. 1s is more than total tuning time for most set-top boxes. Because miliseconds are not allowed MP is way too slower than STBs when changing multiple channels in a row.

I have tested MP since 0.2 versions an reported what I have found. It is DISAPPOINTING that this feauture is still not implemented (are there any developer listening us or are we talking in vain)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom