OTR (On Time Recording) (1 Viewer)

NRivera637

Portal Member
September 7, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
This is going to date me but... joining the quest of a selected few I will duplicate the question (request).

Many moons back when a VCR was the only way to record anything while away they had a function that was unbeatable. If I turn on Jay Leno, or Jimmy Fallon or Jimmy Kimmel I really only want to watch their monologues. This requires all of 1/2 hour or less. Windows Media Center, MediaPortal and others record programs from start to finish. This is a waste of resources in many cases such as above.

So why not add a feature to MediaPortal (OTR) where you can tell it to record only part of a given show... (Start time + 15 or 20 or 30 minutes - or 11:30pm to 11:50pm). This would save on processing time as well as hard drive life. Plus it allows for watching only the desired portion of a given program instead of the whole thing.

I'd like to know what MP Scientists think of this... Thanks. :)

I must add...

MediaPortal in so many ways has so much better image quality than Windows Media Center that I love it. As I see more useable and needed features added I shift closer and closer to having MP as exclusive DVR application. MP still has some quirks I am figuring out and it has few missing features which I post in as time allows but - but overall, this thing will in time surpass WMC by miles...

Last edited:

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    you can sort of do this but its a little messy to setup. with the default-wide skin I just did the following

TV > Scheduled, select menu on left side of screen, New > Advanced Record
    Select Your Channel, I used KNTV (NBC in my area) > Record Weekdays (start date) > Select Start Time (23:35 = 11:35PM), Set Duration 0.50 Hours

This sets up a Recording for Jay Leno from 11:35PM to 00:05AM, Used SetupTV.exe to export my scheduled recordings and get the following. Export shows StartTime = 23:35, EndTime =0:5:0. I'll let this run tonight and verify it works. You can also use Episode Managementt to select how many episodes you keep.

Code:
    <schedule ChannelName="KNTV HD" ProgramName="Manual (KNTV HD)" StartTime="2014-1-22 23:35:0" EndTime="2014-1-23 0:5:0" KeepDate="2000-1-1 0:0:0" PreRecordInterval="1" PostRecordInterval="1" Priority="0" Quality="73" Directory="" KeepMethod="0" MaxAirings="2147483647" ScheduleType="6" Series="False" />

NRivera637

Portal Member
    September 7, 2013
    Home Country
    Good Lord..! I'll have to put on my Coding Hat (propeller on top) for this one. :eek:

Let me know if your test works, I'll take a shot at your glyphs as well and see if it works for me. :unsure: - Thanks.[DOUBLEPOST=1390438018][/DOUBLEPOST]I just went the motion of your steps indicated and it all seemed to fit like a charm..! I am impressed fella..! Seems the needed featuer was there all along in MP 1.6 - God I hope no one else read this... embarrassing that it was there all along. May the MP Gods forgive me on this one. Hope it works...

Thanks again RonD - will advise on test result.

Last edited:

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    Its not that bad to setup, the only really tricky part is knowing that to start a "Manual" recording you need to start from "Scheduled > New" and that "Advanced" gives more options for starting time. Once you start the Manual recording, it will walk you through the options. I also tried the Titan Skin and it works the same way.

NRivera637

Portal Member
    September 7, 2013
    Home Country
    Jay Leno starts @ 10:36 and Jimmy Fallon starts @ 11:36 and the time increments are in 5's - this seems to confuse MP and creates a time overlap schedule making it show duplicate schedulings. This tells me it might still be looking at the PG times and thus gets cornfused... only a test will tell. Will let you know tomorrow if this works. Thanks again RonD.

NRivera637

Portal Member
    September 7, 2013
    Home Country
    The settings suggested did work although the start times did confuse MP as noted above. As a result, it used the same program name to ID both (separate recordings) - which is no big deal as I would expect it to work ok with programs that don't have odd starting times.

A bigger problem is that both recordings had very frequent (stuttering, skipping, hopping) which doesn't happen with normal recordings. I will see tonight and the next few nights if it happens again. Otherwise it can be an annoying bug - will advise after a few recordings. Thanks.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    I did not see any problems last night, I setup the 3 main late night shows, Kimmel, Leno, Letterman to record as manual recordings 11:35 to 12:05, all 3 recorded as expected, all recorded with the expected 1 minute pre/post store, and all 3 play back fine.

When I look at my scheduled recordings in "Series Mode", I see 3 manual recordings, KGO, KNTV, KPIX (my local channels) Daily Mon-Fri, 11:35PM-12:05AM as expected. One limitation of this approach is it is time based, weekdays at fixed times. If a show get shifted in time due to a special program the recording times will not shift even if the EPG was updated with new times.

NRivera637

Portal Member
    September 7, 2013
    Home Country
    For all intents and purposes the 'OTR'' feature is working fine. It's only the fact that on my stations here the shows start at 10:36 & 11:36 respectively and not at 10:35 & 11.35 as would be normal. That one minute offset quirks out MP because its built in increments are 5 minutes so it doesn't know how to react to a 6 minute scheduling variance. Even though it borrows the program name from the previous show in the '5' domain it does record it without a problem. This is just a minor nuisance which is NOT the fault MP. So all is good. I will be opening a separate thread dealing with WebEPG Grabbing - that one is a pain. But this OTR issue is for all intents and purposes closed. Thank you for your guidance RonD.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    You could try tweaking the prestore option for specific shows to get 1 minute level start/end times. For example start = 10:40pm with prestore = 4 would start at 10:36. You can also do this for poststore at the end of the shows.

EvanWasHere

Portal Member
    March 20, 2014
    New York, New York
    Home Country
    Is there any way to set default values for ALL recordings? I like to have my shows start 5 min in advanced and end 5 min after. This way nothing ever gets clipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom