Password specific movies in the same folder? (1 Viewer)

EssoBee

Portal Member
June 23, 2007
Home Country
I understand that I can password ALL videos that have been put in a certain folder, but I have a few movies (no, not THOSE kinds!) that I would not like my 6 year old,(or 13 year old for that matter) to be able to watch, but I originally lumped all my movies onto the same drive\folder.

I.E, On one hard drive
E:\movies\movie1
E:\movies\movie2 etc etc with a total mix of movies be they horror or bugs bunny.

Same with my F:\ drive. I want to password some movies, but not all from each folder.

Do I have to cut and paste the movies (and update the db) that I want passworded into it's own directory to do this?

Actually what I would really like is the ability to have not only a "my videos" button in the main menu, but the ability to add a "my cartoons" or a "my kids movies"
It would not only split the war/violent type movies from Elmer Fudd and friends, it would make my browsing easier, and it would be cool to have the whole of "my videos" folder (for example) requiring a password to enter, rather than simply the movie itself.

Even to have the ability in MP setup prog under the movies\movies database\editor where you set up the titles etc. All I need is a PIN number option in there.

Is any of this possible with either current configuration, or plug in?

I'm running the latest version if that helps.

cheers
Paul

zebons

Portal Pro
January 2, 2006

With MyFilms plugin, you can define many configurations and protect some with a password. But you have to define your movies in an xml database with Ant Movie Catalog software (it's free).
So you can define a particular configuration protected by password for those specifics movies.... and another for all others movies. So alse can define a specifiic config for your young children (animations...).

druffski

Portal Member
May 2, 2007
Brisbane
Home Country
Why don't you create multiple folders under your "My Videos" section? For example, my setup has several folders listed. Memory stick, movies, tv shows, etc.

In here you are able to password protect several folders. You can set your children's folder to be the default, so that when My Videos opens, it goes directly to their stuff. You can then setup separate folders to display your movies. To access those, you'd simply press the "next level up" link on the screen.

Check out MediaPortal Setup, the Videos section. Highlight the share you want to make password protected, and then press the Edit button. This screen allows you yo set a PIN.

I don't have any PIN protected folders set up, but it looks like it would work without issue.

EssoBee

Portal Member
June 23, 2007
Home Country
Thanks for the help guys. I'll take a look at both options mentioned.

Druffski, I assume you mean I will end up with sub folders under my movies?
If so, i'd rather not have more levels, but if that is my only option without another plugin, then a plugin like myfilms is what I may need. Although the thought of having to redo a database as zebons points out doesn't overly appeal to me at the moment.

I'd really prefer to have the ability to insert more my "whatever" in the main page though.

I.E Along with "my tv, "my music" my this, my that, I want to have something like this:

My kids movies and general movies
My "not" kids movies (which is pin protected)
My documentaries

and the ability to have as many or as little as one needs to suit their own.

Or if that isn't possible surely a simple pin option in setup/movies/movie database/ editor for each movie, and not just the whole folder??

I would have thought it would be/is be doable??? Surely I'm not the oly one who needs to limit availability of movies easily???

I am slowly discovering portal is almost a case of too much, but not enough sometimes.

Cheers
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom