[Approved] patch to speed up shares view (1 Viewer)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I am browsing around 5.600 files (mostly mp3) on a Gigabit LAN against a dedicated server running in RAID 10, and I must say that I'm not impressed by the speed MediaPortal browses with...client and server is running W7 x64.

Browsing the files via UNC in a normal Windowsfolder (explorer) is almost seemless and It is smoooth.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you xsiv4ce - after thorough testing I've added parts of your patch. Just replacing GetFileSystemInfos with the WIN32_FIND_DATA methods still gives a noticeable improvement at the cost of the .NET security policy integration. I left all other code parts unchanged - the thumbnail handling therefore does NOT change.

For further improvments it might be worth the effort to replace the File.Exist checks of the SetThumbnail method.

at80

December 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Regarding slowness accessing network drive

Hi rtv,

I am also suffering from very very slow access to my mapped network drive now too. I have not had this problem previously. However, I am not a programmer and would like your assistance to fix the problem. you mention 'Just replacing GetFileSystemInfos with the WIN32_FIND_DATA'. How do I go about doing this. Are these two files? The link goes to C++ data structure. I am not knowledgeable enough to do this? Is there a file that I could just simply use?

Your assistance would be highly appreciated as MediaPortal is my primary application (I have tried many others but none even came close).

Thanks.

at540ia@yahoo.com
    :D

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi rtv,

I am also suffering from very very slow access to my mapped network drive now too. I have not had this problem previously. However, I am not a programmer and would like your assistance to fix the problem. you mention 'Just replacing GetFileSystemInfos with the WIN32_FIND_DATA'. How do I go about doing this. Are these two files? The link goes to C++ data structure. I am not knowledgeable enough to do this? Is there a file that I could just simply use?

Your assistance would be highly appreciated as MediaPortal is my primary application (I have tried many others but none even came close).

Thanks.

at540ia@yahoo.com
    :D

The change he mentions is inside the MediaPortal sourcecode, so you cannot do it yourself (unless you are a programmer, but you wrote that you are not).

The change will probably be in next SVN or maybe in the next Beta/Release Candidate.

at80

December 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Slow Network Access

Thanks for the prompt feedback. Is there any other work-around or temporary solution in the meantime?

- at80

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the prompt feedback. Is there any other work-around or temporary solution in the meantime?

- at80

I guess we'll have another public build soon which has various nice performance fixes (tv guide, shares , zapping) ;)

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain

- at80

I guess we'll have another public build soon which has various nice performance fixes (tv guide, shares , zapping) ;)

that is what i have been seeing in the roadmap.

looks very promising next svn !!! :)

xsiv4ce

Portal Member
    February 28, 2009
    Thank you xsiv4ce - after thorough testing I've added parts of your patch. Just replacing GetFileSystemInfos with the WIN32_FIND_DATA methods still gives a noticeable improvement at the cost of the .NET security policy integration. I left all other code parts unchanged - the thumbnail handling therefore does NOT change.

For further improvments it might be worth the effort to replace the File.Exist checks of the SetThumbnail method.

Thanks RTV for testing this and integrating it.. Would a patch as a setting in the configuration to disable SetThumbnail lookups be ok? from my testing, the performance hit of the SetThumbnail call is even slightly greater then the .NET overhead..

I was thinking of eventually adding code to load the thumbnails in a background thread but that would be a bigger change still and for now being able to disable it would help alot..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom