Pausing TV corrupted recording (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi mm

The first logs show that the tuner is setting discontinuity flags almost as soon as you start playing.

So would this be due to a less than ideal signal or something else?

Then at at 20:49:

I would guess that the TS drive was out of space at this point already.

That was before I even paused it, so it should have just deleted the oldest file and created a new one. If I did start playing at 20:48, that was only 1 minute later, so it certainly shouldn't have even filled up by then. Next time I run the test I'll check there's no leftover files on there first though.

Well it absolutely depends how you're watching the "recording". If you start timeshifting on the same channel then they're independent processes, however you go into the recordings section and start watching the recording from the live point then they're not separate.

So if I'm recording a channel (which doesn't use timeshifting) and then start watching the same channel live, there's only one timeshifting process happening, which is independent from the recording process right (albeit using the same tuner)?

I wasn't aware I could go into the recording section and start watching the recording from the live point (I've always selected a programme from the EPG where it offers me a choice of "Watch from beginning" or "Watch from live point" if it's currently being recorded), but if I did, it seems to me that it's the same thing (it's not really watching the recording is it, it's watching the channel live) so it should still result in two separate processes, one that's recording and another that's timeshifting the channel from the live point.

Anyway, in my tests they should have been independent, as in the first case it was a scheduled recording, which I decided to watch live via the EPG and in the second case I was watching the programme when I told it to start recording.

Yes, maybe that would be a solution in an ideal world, however the complexity in supporting that would be substantial. Further we seem to only have a limited number of devs who are able and interested to work on TsWriter and TsReader. Practically speaking I don't see this feature being added in the foreseeable future.

Fair enough, I can imagine it would be very complex to implement and I appreciate it would be best to utilise the devs who are available to make TV as stable as possible. It would be good if someone could investigate why timeshifting problems are corrupting recordings though.

I actually thought the timeshift settings are applied over all tuners and users, not per-tuner. I don't think I've ever actually looked into that code though.

It was quite a while ago that I recall seeing something that said otherwise, so it may have changed. The only situation I can imagine where dual-tuners require twice the space would be if a client PC was timeshifting at the same time as the main PC, but I don't even know if in that case the timeshifting files for the client are created on it's own HD.

Personally I totally agree with Ray - 512 MB seems an inadequate amount of space. I think you can ignore the overhead to some degree since you're not using a traditional HDD that gets significantly slower as it gets very close to full.

*It is an estimate* - if you work back the maths it seems to be using a relatively high bitrate of 10 Mbps for that calculation. Your recording (which may be missing data) is only 3.14 Mbps.

Well in that case I should get about 15 minutes from 512MB, which seems plenty to me and in the event of a long, important phone call, I can just press record and watch the rest of the programme later. Thanks for explaining about the overhead. As it's filesize*1 I just assumed it needed this space to create a new file once it had reached the max, before deleting the last file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom