Operating System PC just does not want to sleep :( (1 Viewer)

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi. I am trying to finally get my machine to sleep and wake correctly. Currently I have to shut it down to avoid having it on all day which stops me recording etc.

I am using 1.3RC (DJBlu's custom data grabber build)
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Powerscheduler++ (Windows controls sleep)

I have set it to sleep 5 minutes. Powercfg /requests etc all show 'None', Powerscheduler also says nothing is preventing sleep, but the PC refuses to sleep. My TV.log is full of powerscheduler messages saying its fine to sleep (but that windows controls it so system will sleep after the idle timeout) and nothing about anything that may be preventing sleep.

Anyone suggest a way I can debug this? Everything is telling me that it should be sleeping but clearly its not :(

Thanks!

Last edited:

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Does your PC sleep after 5 minutes if everything (MP client, tvservice, powertools etc.) is disabled?
    Check your Windows power settings (either direct in control panel or by using PS++'s "Set Windows Power Config" button and compare the actual settings with the "Recommended settings")?

Michael

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Hi, in the end I killed TVService. Within 5 minutes the machine shut down.

I then enabled the plug and play mode of powerscheduler++, set a 60 minute sleep time in PS++, checked it was reflected correctly in the settings in control panel (which they was) and then I rebooted the PC.

It then began sleeping fine Sunday evcning / Monday.. however I now have other problems.

1) My clients keep reporting connection to the TV server has been lost (wether this is an away mode / sleep issue I do not know)
    2) Last night at 22:46 my PC went to sleep (just after the client slept). At 22:59 it woke up again and has not slept all night and today. So something is keeping it awake again :/ Just remote desktop to it and I see the following..

Code:
    C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -requests
    DISPLAY:
    None.
    SYSTEM:
    [DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet
    An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.
    [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (CryptSvc)
    AWAYMODE:
    None.

I know the service is remote desktop, maybe srvnet is too who knows - to be fair this is the first time I have seen srvnet? powercfg -requestsoverride all comes back clear.

Its driving me nuts. Its definitely set to sleep 60 minutes but something is stopping it.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    That or through the nearest window. I have lightouts on my server monitoring client uptime and this morning its been going to sleep then waking up 9 mins later over and over :confused:

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    possible solutions:
    1. Remove PC from home group
    2. Sharing media might stop PC from going to sleep (advanced settings in power)
    3. remote access of files might stop PC from sleeping (Do the allow standby with remote opens, see http://iboyd.net/index.php/2010/05/16/windows-7-power-management-fixing-pc-insomnia/)
    4. Ignore the device & service that is keeping your PC awake (powercfg -requestoverride, details are in the same post above)

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The same post also talks about "narcolepsy", waking up after sleeping. This is most often wake on lan related.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Thanks for the links, looks like interesting stuff, I will start more tests tomorrow, hopefully get to the bottom of it. Thanks :)

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Just had a look how things went through the night and just to make it even more weird, the machine I am having trouble with sleep, decided to sleep all night long and not wake up at all.. even for its scheduled WHS backup. In contrast, my new client machine which normally always sleeps, decided to stay awake until its scheduled backup.. and then start sleep / wake / sleep / wake. Its a nightmare.

Untitled.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom