PC locking up whilst watching avi over LAN (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: v1.1.0 Final
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: XP Pro SP3
CPU Type: Athlon II X4 630
HDD: 640GB WD SATA
Memory: 4GB DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: Biostar TA790GXB3
Video Card: HD3300 IGP
Video Card Driver: 10.5
Sound Card: onboard Realtek AC97 (ALC662)
Sound Card AC3: no AC3
Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.6101
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-T 500
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 4.3.27240

MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD9)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshowDXVA
HTPC Case: Custom
Cooling: Nexus 120mm Intake Fan, Stock CPU HSF
Power Supply: OCZ StealthStream 400W
Remote: Nova-T 500
TV: Sony XBR800 36"
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

I'd been watching videos (avis) over my LAN (stored on a different PC to the one MP is running on) for about 3-4 hours without any problem, when suddenly the PC locked up, with a frozen picture and the sound stuck on a fast buzz. This was at about 03:06. I made the attached log named crash

I should mention that my aerial has stopped working tonight, so there's no signal at all, which may be relevant as this is the only thing that's changed and it's never done this before.

I rebooted and disabled EPG grabbing and also stopped the TV Service. I managed to watch a video for about 5-10 minutes. before it locked up again. This was at about 03:14. I made the attached log named crash2 after rebooting again.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
I've attached a third set of logs.

These were made after watching a video over the LAN without any problems for about 30 minutes, ending about 04:00. I didn't bother shutting down the TV Service this time, as it hadn't helped before. EPG grabbing was left disabled as on the last attempt.

I noticed that the earlier logs contained error messages about being unable to connect to 192.168.1.64 (the ip address of my MP PC). Even though my firewall was set to allow all on 127.0.0.1, I added 192.168.1.64 to the list of Trusted addresses.

I also shut down K10Stat but Cool and Quiet is enabled in the BIOS anyway, and CPU-Z shows the processor running at 800Mhz (200 * 4) and 1.088v. K10Stat was set to 2800Mhz @ 1.4v, 2100Mhz @ 1.3v, 1600Mhz @ 1.2v and 800Mhz @ 1.1v.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
I've just had this happen to me again.

I watched one film without any problems, but about 3/4 of the way through the second, the PC locked up again with the sound just buzzing.

I gathered the attached logs after rebooting but I couldn't see anything pertinent in them myself.

This time, my aerial is working fine so obviously lack of signal isn't causing this crash. I've also disabled K10stat after the last time, so that isn't a factor either.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
And again!

I disabled VPU Recover in Catalyst in case that had anything to do with it and I also found that AC3 Filter was in the chain after ffdshow, so I disabled that as well.

I think I'll try installing SAF v4 which uses MPC instead of ffdshow and see if that helps, in case it's a Codec issue.

tontsa

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I don't think the cause of this lockup is due to MP or atleast it's very hard to find out remotely as the logs don't contain anything that would give clue of anykind.

I recommend that you install software that can log to file your CPU temperature, HDD temperatures and voltages from your PSU. Maybe you can find that during the lockup either temperature or voltages spiked. My suspicion is PSU getting toast on you.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks for looking at the logs.

You're probably right that it's not a MP bug, but I don't believe it's likely to be a temperature or voltage problem either, as all components are new and well cooled and the PSU is a good quality brand.

I'll check everything though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom