PCI vs. USB - what to choose? (1 Viewer)

haggren

October 30, 2007
Hi all,

I'm planning to build a new mediacenter and maybe base in on a small-form-factor PC, or at least a small case cabinet which do not have PCI-ports.

My question is that I want to buy USB-tv-cards instead of PCI. Do anyone have experience with this?

I was thinking of buying this adapter:
http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/products/data_hvr900.html

If I buy two will it be possible to get them working with playback while recording and picture-in-picture?

Thanks in avance
Jesper

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    PCI vs. USB

PCI every time, no standby issues with reintiliasation delay on the usb drivers, which is a very common complaint.

If you have DVB-T available, Cinergy 2400i should be a consideration, PCIe though.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Also: Few USB has hardware decoding (analogue signals) and I read a review that stated that USB devices (even Hauppauge USB2-something) gives poorer PQ - perhaps due to lower bandwidth?

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi Jesper.

I agree with PD and Spragleknas above. I used to have USB-based TV-cards (Twinhan 3040 and Hauppage T-500) and there were a lot of issues when it comes to standby/resume. Gave up and bought a Terratec 2400i which I'm very happy with. It also allows me to use "dep standbyt", i.e. S3 instead of S1.

/Peter

haggren

October 30, 2007
    sounds good... You all write about Terratec. Do you prefer Terratec over Hauppauge? or is the quality the same? I have a old Terratec Cinergy 400 TV and have been very satisfied with it? If you should choose a TV-card today what would you choose?

thanks for your reply...

ahhthe 2400i has two tuners, right? but still you have to have a PCI-Ex1 port on the MB...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom