PDVD12 continual stuttering after signal interruption (1 Viewer)

peterh

Portal Member
November 9, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Using DVB-S2 in the UK I've got a large tree which attracts a lot of pigeons near the line of sight of my satellite dish. Unfortunately I'm unable to relocate the satellite dish so I'll have to live with it. This creates intermittent picture break ups every now and then.

I'm running an ATI HD4850 graphics card with a 2.2Ghz core 2 duo CPU so I need to use DXVA to get the graphics card to do the work for HD playback otherwise it's un-watchable with CPU only decoding.

I've been having a lot of problems with HD codecs after a signal interuption. I've tried a lot of codecs and by far the best I've found so far is PDVD12. The break up time is very small and it normally gets back to a normal picture in < 1 second whereas other codecs were taking several seconds to resume displaying a normal picture.

There does however seem to be an intermittent problem which is very frustrating. It only seems to happen once every 2-3 hours so isn't a complete deal breaker but it is very annoying. Basically sometimes after a brief picture break up instead of resuming normal playback the picture seems to continually stutter (almost looks like it's showing 1-2FPS). This will happen indefinitely. The only way I can then resume normal TV viewing once this has happened is to change the channel and then re-tune to the channel I was previously viewing.

Can anyone advise how I can fix this? If not does anyone know of a codec with very fast full resume from picture breakup and ATI DXVA support that I could try to use instead?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    It does sound like a codec problem (and it might be an AMD hardware decoder problem), but in case it might help a bit, you could try the experimental TsReader.ax from https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/experimental-tsreader-development.102693/#post-811296 (I suggest the latest 'noStopMod69' version).

Does skipping backwards (left arrow key) fix it ?

Skipping should flush the decoding pipeline of old data, so it's almost like stopping and re-starting the stream.

Have you tried LAV Video decoder (in DXVA2 native mode) ?

Tony

Last edited:

peterh

Portal Member
    November 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks Tony.

I've had a go with 'noStopMod69' but I'm still getting occasional complete video freezes or this continual stuttering thing. The audio always continues playing normally.

I've tried LAV with DXVA native but I also get a rare issue with the picture freezing and the audio continuing. When the picture with LAV breaks up it also doesn't return to a normal picture anywhere near as quickly as PDVD12.

The skipping backwards trick does fix it - if I press left then right the picture immediately resumes.

Any other ideas? I'm running the latest ATI catalyst drivers (13.1) and Windows 7 32bit with all the updates. I'm happy to live with it but it's putting the girlfriend off using MP as our freesat box doesn't have this issue.

Thanks!

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I thought it might....

Unfortunately the AMD hardware decoder is known to be a bit touchy (or worse) about handling H.264 stream errors - and I agree that the PDVD decoders have the cleanest error handling. I can't think of anything else to try, other than borrowing an nVidia video card....

Tony

peterh

Portal Member
    November 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Yeah that's the conclusion I was coming to.

Have you found your nVidia GT430 to be stable with the PDVD codecs and capable of doing 1080i live TV?

Thanks again!

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Yes to both questions, basically (although I usually use LAV codecs these days).

I have good reception (and I use Freeview HD, not satellite) so I can't comment on how well it copes with really bad signals, but I don't remember reading any comments that it has problems in that situation.

Note that the GT530 and GT630 are basically the same card (nViida badge engineering), and make sure it's got 128-bit RAM - there are some cards around with only 64-bit (too slow). Mine is a low-profile Palit GT430 1GB DDR3 128bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom