PGS subtitles - Media portal (1 Viewer)

misterfrog

Portal Member
May 24, 2008
New York
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi, I've been ripping my small collection of blurays to ts files using clown_BD (eac3to and tsmuxer gui interface).

I've been keeping the main subtitle track (pgs) but most players including media portals don't seem to be compatible with this. I finally managed to find a way to get subtitles to work (using suprip and converting sup subtitles to .srt files) then playing with kmplayer and manually loading the subtitles into the movie. (I was thinking of ripping to srt and then embedding the .srt file into the .ts container with tsmuxer). This is lengthy and requires some hands on work due to getting the ocr working but would be worth it for some movies ( Pan's Labyrinth and Apocalypto come to mind).

I was wondering if anyone has tips on how to get subtitles working from bluray rips in media portal. I also read on the saf (standalone filters forum) that using subtitles will break the hardware acceleration (dxva) but that this should be fixed in media portal 1.0.2. Is this the case?

Any help would be appreciated.

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    This is the way I do it:

1. Extract video stream, preferred audio stream (recode if you want) and the pgs subtiltle with eac3to.
    2. Convert the .sup into a .sub with BDsup2sub, google for it.
    3. Remux everything into a mkv container with mkvtoolnix.
    4. Install the MPC-HC sub engine from cpp2005, can be found in the forum.
    5. Play the movie using DXVA in MP,
    6. Forget about ocr :)

misterfrog

Portal Member
    May 24, 2008
    New York
    Home Country
    Viggo, thanks for helping me out on this. I really think that having seamless bluray playback with subtitles is within my grasp :)

This method is working great most of the time. I have one small problem left that I'm having difficulty solving. On some videos, the video and audio fall out of sync as the movie goes on. Originally the video and audio are in sync and then gradually falls out of sync (by several seconds late in the movie). I'm sure the answer is simple but I've searched extensively and tried a few things and haven't been able to solve this yet.

This sync falls out a few seconds in an hour and this seemed to be consistent with 24p framerate vs 24/1001 so I tried switching the framerate around with no luck. I also checked to see if the problem was from the demuxing of the original m2ts or from the muxing into the mkv container. I took the same demuxed files and muxed into the mkv container with mkvtoolnix and muxed into a ts container with tsmuxer. The ts file played with no problems and the mkv had the audio-video sync problem. I used the same demuxed files (both dts and dd 5.1) it is the same with both dd 5.1 and dts soundtracks. The problem is cross platform in that I tried it on my friends computer who has mythtv and the audio-video sync problem is the same which makes me think that it is a problem in the muxing (and not some codec related thing). I've also tried kmplayer and had the same problem.

Ideas from anyone?

Thanks.

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Sorry, haven't got this issue. All I can think about is the fps settings in mkvtoolnix for each audio track. I never change them though. The only tweak I'm doing is to label my subs as swedish and that's it, then I press "start muxing".

I'm not using tsmuxer at all so if you are, maybe something is done there...

I'm starting eac3to (having the eac3to folder at c: root) from the cmd prompt and a typical cmd look something like this:

c:\eac3to\eac3to d:\volume_id\bdmv\stream\00000.m2ts 2: c:\rip\video.mkv 3: c\rip\audio.dts -core 22: c:\rip\sub.sup

wait for about 45 min...

Then I convert the sub and mux everything with mkvtoolnix, not seen sync problems so far.. not even when encoding audio from trueHD.

Also, check out this link if you want: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to

misterfrog

Portal Member
    May 24, 2008
    New York
    Home Country
    Viggo, thanks. I did exactly that last night before I went to sleep and tested the working mkv this morning :).

I think the problem came from me using clown_BD ( I wanted a gui) and it demuxing the video to .h264 format first and then I was remuxing that with the audio tracks. Sometimes it worked and sometimes not (it is consistent though for a particular movie).

Anyways, using the command line and ripping the video straight to .mkv seems to solve what playback speed issues were causing the problems in the remux (still not sure exactly what those are).

It seems as if a number of people throughout the forums have had this problem so I'll put in some keywords (audio video sync a/v sync bluray ripped to mkv) and hopefully others will find your tips useful. I did :)

I really want to thank the guys on this forum (Viggo and the guys from my other thread) for being so helpful. About 6 months ago I decided that I was ready to move over to a pc from xbmc on a very old modded xbox because high def playback on a pc had reached a level of ease and capability and cost that I was comfortable with and the xbox just couldn't handle it. Tons of learning curve and obstacles but now I have something that I'm happy with.

Altogether I'd estimate that it cost a little under $2000 to put together a really nice system.

Open Solaris HD server (4x750 gig pool1 and 4x 1 terabyte) ~ $1200 (<$400 for computer and $800+ for hard drives). each pool is singly redundant so 5.25 gigs of storage.

2 year old Old Dell Inspiron frontend (originally $300) plus ati radeon 4650
    Other crap (remote, wireless keyboard, crap I ended up not using, etc.. etc... <$500)

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I used this guide i found on the videohelp forums and it worked a treat

How-to-extract-subtitles-from-a-Blu-ray-and-convert-to-srt-or-sub-idx

Since MP wont natively play the PGS subtitle streams, i convert and merge the SRT subtitle file into the MKV

One setting i noticed was the FPS set to 23.976, which could account for the eventual loss of sync..but this is to do with subtitles not audio

I use MKVtoolnix to put all the streams together (video h264, DTS-HD MA, 2.0 commantary - lol, SRT subtitle) and theres also a setting for FPS, set it to 23.976 just to be sure they are all synced up

im pretty much going to have to do this for all my blu-ray rips in the future

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom