Philips MCE remote issues bb+ dongle ed (1 Viewer)

MungoDragons

Portal Member
June 7, 2011
Home Country
Hi MD

Should show up under USB controllers as "Ehome infrared receiver (USBCIR)" details are as below, but remember I'm not on XP, but my old XP pro was the same driver, as you can see it's been around a while.

View attachment 83333View attachment 83334

Thanks for that - so it sounds like I'm on the right track. I've now just discovered this helpful page which describes a process of editing the irbus.inf file:

MCE Remote Drivers for Windows XP - EventGhost

So I might explore that as the next step to try and address my keypress issue.

MD

MungoDragons

Portal Member
June 7, 2011
Home Country
So I have been playing around with directly editing irbus.inf
At first it seemed to make a difference (I managed to slow the rate of repeating) but something has happened and it's back to the way it was (and the device is now also appearing under Human Interface Devices as Microsoft eHome Infrared Device) except I now have to hold the button down marginally longer to get any response.

Two questions:
(1) Is there an easy way to tell if my remote would be classed as V1 or V2 (or RX?)
(2) Should updating the driver on the eHome Infrared Device require a reboot to take effect?

Cheers,
MD

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi MungoDragons

(1) Is there an easy way to tell if my remote would be classed as V1 or V2 (or RX?)
    No idea, sorry...

(2) Should updating the driver on the eHome Infrared Device require a reboot to take effect?
    Technically you're not editing the driver. You're editing the installation script for the driver. Therefore, editing the inf file itself will make no difference. The only difference you'll make is if you reinstall the driver with the new inf script you've created. If your remote is anything like my old HID remote device, those entries that you're fiddling with will be written to the registry. They may be overwritten by the OS if you don't also change *all* the inf scripts that the OS has (the OS will have backup copies of the driver). As I recall, on XP the infs are renamed as oem##.inf and placed in C:\Windows\inf (or somewhere in C:\Windows anyway)...

I think what you should do is:
    1. Uninstall the driver completely.
    2. Search C:\Windows and all its subdirectories for the remote driver sys files, and delete all that you find. Be careful that you don't delete other sys files - only the ones that you've been using to get the remote working (irbus.sys and swmsflt.sys???).
    3. Find the oem inf files in C:\Windows\<????>. Delete any that match the inf file from the remote driver. Leave the others alone.
    4. Restart the PC. The remote should no longer be recognised and Windows won't be able to automatically find the right driver.
    5. Make the changes that you want to make in the inf file.
    6. Install the driver.
    7. Reboot.
    8. (The changes should now be in effect.)

If you are smart enough then you should be able to find the entries that are put into the registry. You may be able to modify them and see immediate effects, however it will depend on the driver (the driver may only read the registry on OS startup). Futher, the OS may periodically overwrite the entries in the registry with the ones from the inf file that it keeps (oem##.inf).

Hope that helps...

mm
    :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just wanted to clarify: *do not* delete sys files that are supplied by the OS. Only delete sys files that you have installed manually.

MungoDragons

Portal Member
    June 7, 2011
    Home Country
    Hey - Thanks for such a detailed response - that is very helpful and I am (fingers crossed) confident that I now have enough to go on to get my remote working tickety boo.

I should have mentioned that after each edit of the irbus.inf file I would then go and update the driver and point it to my edited file. I have been playing specifically with the MaxRepeatPauseInterval and MaxRepeatTimeout entries.

After changing them in irbus.inf, updating the driver and rebooting I went into the registry and noticed that the old values were still there. I modified them directly in the registry, rebooted and bam - BIG improvement - repetition now all but gone. I think I need to just tweak the values some more to get it behaving just the way I want to.

So I'll digest your post and my own findings to make sure I fully understand what is going on and the correct steps to take to make all this permanent and to ensure that changes don't get overwritten by what may be in other inf scripts etc.

Cheers,
    MD

brokenrobot

Portal Member
    March 20, 2010
    Hi Dan,

I'm running XP Pro SP3 also and have been having trouble with the 'bb+ dongle ed' message when I plugged in my Lenovo (Philips) remote I got from Fleabay -

Lenovo Microsoft MCE Media center IR Remote Control Kit | eBay UK

You can see from here - MCE Remote - MediaPortal Wiki

that this remote is a V2 remote (Someone was asking recently)

On this thread - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...r-receiver-install-troubles-28387/index2.html scroll down to half way and follow the instructions from armanis - it worked for me and now the remote works - sort of!

A lot of people are suggesting this update from Microsoft -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888795

and I know mm was looking to find out if it helps but it doesn't. This update was released in 2006 and is a part of Service Pack 3 so if you're running a recent version of XP with SP3 you already have this driver.

The only problem I have now is that the keys work as if they are 'sticky'. If I press 'up' once on MP it'll continualy scroll up. If I play a song it'll continually press play endlessly and MP jumps around like crazy.

If you go into DOS and have a look (Start>Run>CMD) then shoot the remote at your PC I see that the commends are being repeated. If I press '1' on the remote in DOS I will see '1111111111111111111111111' being typed on the screen until I hit '2' and then I'll get '22222222222222222222'

If anyone knows how to fix this I would be really grateful to know.

craigbeat

Portal Member
    May 15, 2007
    Not sure if this is still relevant, but I have just got some of these receivers. The big issue I had was the amount of power they require. 500ma. Make sure you have no other devices sharing the power with it, or hang it off a powered hub if needs be.

I used the MCE replacement drivers (that are now marked as obsolete) and it works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom