"Philips MCE USB IR Receiver- Spinel plus" (shipping with some Zotac Boxes) (1 Viewer)

belcom

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2009
    Leibnitz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi Guys!

As the so called "MCE Remote" shipped with my Zotac zBox BluRay AD05 didn't work neither with "use MCE" in MP nor "Microsoft MCE" plugin in IRSS, I wrote a new IRSS plugin supporting this bundled receiver called "Philips MCE USB IR Receiver- Spinel plus".

I've tested it on Windows 7 x64 SP1 Home Premium and Professional with Mediaportal 1.2.3.
    This test version is based on code version for IRSS 1.5.0.0.

Use "disable Media Center Services" in MP Configuration.
    Add the "Start" Key to start MP in IRSS Translator.

Please test and report here.

belcom.

Update: Receiver support has been added to IRSS officially.
    Please post questions and bug reports related that receiver within this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi belcom,

nice to see someone is working on IRSS improvements. Is the source code available anywhere?
    You also could fork the current IRSS source code and publish it this way.

I would like to have a look at it.
    Is this plugin only compatible with this specific receiver or does it also support some of the standard receivers?

How did you set up the hardware detection?
    In MP it is possible to disconnect and reconnect the receiver from the PC and MP will detect it on the fly.
    With IRSS this is not possible, after disconnecting and plug in of the receiver you have to restart IRSS to get it working again.
    I always was looking for away to get a proper plug'n'play for the mce remotes into IRSS.

Cheers,
    Tommy

belcom

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2009
    Leibnitz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi belcom,

nice to see someone is working on IRSS improvements. Is the source code available anywhere?
    You also could fork the current IRSS source code and publish it this way.

I would like to have a look at it.
    Is this plugin only compatible with this specific receiver or does it also support some of the standard receivers?

How did you set up the hardware detection?
    In MP it is possible to disconnect and reconnect the receiver from the PC and MP will detect it on the fly.
    With IRSS this is not possible, after disconnecting and plug in of the receiver you have to restart IRSS to get it working again.
    I always was looking for away to get a proper plug'n'play for the mce remotes into IRSS.

Cheers,
    Tommy

Hi chefkoch, long time not heard of you :)

Yes, there were no improvements to IRSS in the last months...
    My last project was the Imon-HID-support which was years ago...
    I will publish the source code on Git (maybe a new branch?) as soon as I have write access. I already asked chemelli to give me the permission.

This plugin - by now - only supports this specific receiver and is itself based on the Imon plugin source. But I'm on to write a new plugin from scratch which (I hope) will support any HID-Device through extensive configuration possibilities.

The hardware detection and further activation is based on enumerating all rawInputDevices, searching for compatible Vid&Pid and when found, registering them along with a receiverWindow handle to receive the input as procMsgs.
    As long as the hardware was attached at IRSS start, you can disconnect and reconnect it, without the need to restart IRSS.
    Main problem is the way IRSS works. It first detect() each plugin and if that returns false, there is no start() even if the plugin is activated in configuration.

I would prefer IRSS to start() all plugins and use detect() afterwards to show current status.

To the "Microsoft MCE Transiever" plugin... I had a quick look at the source, but can't follow how this thing works... thats why I decided to write a new one.

Also I thought about integrating main HID and rawInputDevice functions as an own class in irssUtils, as many plugins can use them. (They have many different implementations by now)
    Even a rewrite of IRSS was discussed some months ago with chemelli, but that is a very huge, time consuming project.

Yours, belcom.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Great that you are back.
    A new branch is the way to go for the beginning, yes ;) Good that we are also with IRSS on GIT now so branching isn't a nightmare anymore.
    But all the other topics we can discuss separately.

Chemelli is busy with real life afaik.
    Simply ask one of the admins to give you access.

belcom

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2009
    Leibnitz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Source code is now on GitHub, branch "Add_plugin_Philips_USB_MCE_IR_Receiver-_Spinel_plus".
    Have a look on it :)

belcom.

belcom

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2009
    Leibnitz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    @chefkoch:
    Found an easy way to enable plug&play with my receiver:
    Just RegisterRawInputDevices() (user32.dll) with usUsagePage, usUsage and ReceiverWindow.Handle (with RawInputDeviceFlags.InputSink of course).
    The device doesn't need to be attached at this time.
    As soon as a device with this Usages comes online and sends commands, the Window gets the Messages.
    No need to look for vid&pid in enumeration of all (attached) devices!

But you can filter for vid&pid while processing the message, if you want to go for sure that YOUR device is sending it.

Hope that helps.
    Going to make my new plugin plug&play :)

belcom.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @chefkoch:
    Found an easy way to enable plug&play with my receiver:
    Just RegisterRawInputDevices() (user32.dll) with usUsagePage, usUsage and ReceiverWindow.Handle (with RawInputDeviceFlags.InputSink of course).
    The device doesn't need to be attached at this time.
    As soon as a device with this Usages comes online and sends commands, the Window gets the Messages.
    No need to look for vid&pid in enumeration of all (attached) devices!

But you can filter for vid&pid while processing the message, if you want to go for sure that YOUR device is sending it.

Hope that helps.
    Going to make my new plugin plug&play :)

belcom.
    Looking forward to your implementation, I also reworked the DirectInput plugin a bit, there I also would like to add plug n play, but having an issue currently when it is being disconnected, I'll try to add this the next weeks, depends on the time I have for IRSS.

I am also going to merge the net4 changes to the master / release 150 next.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I also found another to get device notifications. Direct Input Plugin in net40 branch is now Plug n Play-able, too. It still has some minor issues,but working much better now.

paolo_nl

Portal Member
    June 2, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I can't get this receiver to work with MP . I had a working setup at my antec fusion case. I now have a normal midi tower case with the external usb ir receiver (it shipped with an Asus graphics card) . In HID test program the receiver is named MCE USB ir receiver spinel plus . In the program I can see that the receiver actually picks up signal from my mce remote control device (it even brings the pc back from sleep/hibernate). So far so good, but I can't get any reaction within MP. any ideas how to solve this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom