Philips TV 55PUK7150/12 review (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Here are documentation and opinions about that Philips 55PUK7150/12.

It's a 4K UHD Android TV from Philips' 2015 lineup. It notably features 3 sided Ambilight and passive 3D.

Pros:
    • Overall nice picture in most situations.
    • 3 sides Ambilight awesome.
    • 4K passive 3D awesome.
    • Ambilight controllable via REST API.
    • Philips seems to be rolling out regular firmware updates.
    • Support generic IR remotes.
    Cons:
    • Nasty image retention issues.
    • Remote unusable from 3 meters away.
    • RF remote means you can't teach universal IR remotes.
    • Slight buzzing coil whine noise noticeable in very quiet room. Louder or quieter depending of the Picture profile you are using. Somehow after 6 months of regular usage this has improved to the point where I hardly ever notice it anymore.
    • Takes quite a bit of testing to tune the picture quality to mitigate image retention issues.
    • Narrow vertical angle sweet zone for passive 3D.
    • Android TV UI does not support 3D.
    • EasyLink - HDMI CEC connection lost after long spell in standby means you have to use a remote to wake up your TV, IR or RF both work.
    • CEC remote can't open settings menu.
    • Firmware update did not fix any of my issues so far.
    • Split screen issue on 4:4:4 input.
    • Worst input lag on the market. Users are reporting input lag as high as 180ms. Though I've clocked up more than 80 hours of non-competitive PC gaming and that did not bother me the slightest.
    That's a lot of nasty cons and very few pros. Yet it looks like it's going to take at least 2 years or more before we maybe get affordable next gen 4K panels with passive 3D and Ambilight. If Philips ever goes back into 3D. So despite the ugly image retention issues it's possibly worth acquiring such a display at discounted price. At time of writing I've seen it available from various sources between 900€ and 1200€.

It has to be noted that I mostly tested that TV when used as a monitor for MP1 and PC gaming. I've totally skipped the testing of built-in tuners and most smart TV functionality. It looks like it was getting pretty bad reviews concerning software stability. I'm not sure if this was somewhat improved in the latest firmware update from April 2016.

Firmware tested:
    • QV151E_R0.5.38.150 - December 2016
      • Introduced HDMI black screen detection that triggers reboots.
    • QV151E_R0.5.38.117 - October 2016
      • Massive regression introducing major HDMI black screen issues.
    • QV151E_R0.5.38.93 - August 2016
      • Funny HDMI screen scrolling behind settings menu, weird but harmless.
    • QV151E_R0.5.38.52 - April 2016
      • Must have been updating to this firmware after getting that hardware in May 2016.