Photo Skin - A new idea (1 Viewer)

aasmund Nordal

Portal Pro
June 20, 2005
Norway
Home Country
Norway Norway
For some time I have wonderd why this is not possible yet.

I think this is a good idea.
Even thow if moving background wil be possible in time, pictures wil stil be a choise for those who wants more personal background, like girlfriend, house, car and so on.

I dont think you would like your girlfriend moving in the background.

But pherhaps a slideshow with fading between pictures.

critifer

Portal Pro
February 9, 2005
Ditto what Inker said.....

Great start. I think that we see so many of these "what do you think" then people struggle once they get into the meat of the skin itself. It's not easy and takes time so hard to be critical.

All in all I think once people creat new art and even the basics go ahead and start publishing for ALL what you have before you get stalled.

We have not seen a skin with original concept in the OSD and Guide areas since I can recall. Myself and Inker are doing just that - but both know it takes time and a lot of patience and work.

So the net net is many people are coming up with kewl buttons and laying them on the home skin page - it looks nice - but can without a lot of work be like an album cover with no tracks developed.

I wish you well and "yes" looks very nice. Keep plugging and the best approach will be to share at various stages of your progress.

Regards
Critifer

Visard

Portal Member
September 2, 2005
Sweden
I'm not sure if the possitive response is due to my idea to use a photo as the background pic or the skin itself :?
Now I have started to put somthing together anyway, but a new question become in focus:

Do you need to get aprovel from all makers of other skin you might reuse parts of :?:

As I mentioned earlier I started from theboxhead's FXextended and to not having to event the wheel once more, you take parts from other skins XML/PNG files...

And to be honest with anyone who wants to try a photo as a background pic, it's doeas not any new code, it´s allready included in MP today, an example with "BlueTwo":

Blue2.jpg

Just replace "...\skin\BlueTwo\Media\background.png" with the photo of your choise and enjoy, until I will post a pre Beta in this forum, hopefully in a week...

// Visard

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,
    Visard said:
    I'm not sure if the possitive response is due to my idea to use a photo as the background pic or the skin itself :?
    Actually, both. I like the artwork from your first screenshots, too. ;)
    Especially the menu looks better, because the BlueTwo skin has a green menu cursor, which might look bad with the picture one has chosen.

Kind regards,
    Michel

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    The one skin idea which has come up many times but never been complete is this. Having a folder containing your photos (must be resized to the correct size), which MP selects a different one each time MP is started. Could be done outside of MP very easy with a simple program just randomly picking one and changing the name.

Visard

Portal Member
    September 2, 2005
    Sweden
    Slide Show

I have tested a bit with animate control and with some limitations it works to change some pics automaticly, like a slide show in the background !

After contact with Smirnuff it seems more features is comming soon...

// Visard

tkortell

Portal Pro
    April 13, 2005
    Vaasa / Sulva
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Making it possible for the user to put any picture as background is a very good idea, it makes it easy for the user to personalize his MP without all the work of making a new skin. Looking forward to this feature ;)

R/tk

bigj

Portal Pro
    January 10, 2005
    Time of day switch would be very nice.
    eg. images that reflect sunrise->miday->sunset->night(twinkly starry night).

BigJ.

civikdude

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2005
    U.S.A.
    aasmund Nordal said:
    I changed the background, but there is no change.
    How can mp load an image that is not there anymore?

Delete the skin's cached image files, then it will bring in the new background.png.

Delete skin\[BlueTwo]\packedgfx.xml and packedgfx*.png files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom