Pixar Shorts (1 Viewer)

fredco

Portal Pro
November 13, 2010
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
There is / was some discussion at thetvdb.com about the Pixar Shorts. I understand almost all arguments used to clarify the way the database is arranged right now.
But there is one thing i don't get: I have all Pixar shorts that were published on Blu Ray and use My TVSeries (and thetvdb.com) to scrape them all and create a nice interface for those shorts to browse them like all other regular TV-series. Now there is ONE short that is not scraped / recognized which is because it just doesn't appear in the tvdb. This is La Luna (2011). In my opinion there is nothing strange about this short: it was shown in theatres and it appeared on the Pixar Short Films Collection 2.
It's no use to try at thetvdb.com, because they are very rigid about their rules. And La Luna doesn't seem to fit in. I just don't understand why? Anyone?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    You already answered yourself, Pixar shorts = theater = movies (as in not TV), so you should catalog them nicely in Moving-Pictures.

The IMDb+ plugin supports many that were part of movie releases by default (example for Toy Story ones @ https://github.com/RoChess/IMDbPlus/blob/master/Rename dBase IMDb+ Scraper.xml#L2117), and I will be happy to add more (decided to keep all the dedicated Pixar Shorts out of the default dbase though as I've added them to my custom rename dbase which you can do yourself as well. Right now my HTPC is down, so I can not copy the entries for you, but it shouldn't take you long to create them, and you might be happy with the default IMDb.com names, such as: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0248808/

With IMDb+ you could rename that one to "Pixar's Short: For The Birds" and even add it to a "Pixar Shorts" collection, or do whatever you prefer.

fredco

Portal Pro
    November 13, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Sorry about the delay, but I read your reply with interest. As an already heavy user of the IMDB+ plugin I know what it can do. Thanks very much for this very useful addition to Moving Pictures, RoChess!

But now about your suggestion for my "orphaned" Pixar Short: I might use IMDB+ to catalog it in Moving Pictures, but you must agree it's rather strange to have just one Pixar Short in my Movies and ALL other (23) nicely interfaced in My TV-Series.

There is still some inconsistency in the way the people at thetvdb.com work:

1. Although you say La Luna (2011) was NOT aired on TV and therefore not included in thetvdb, I find it hard to believe ALL 23 other shorts WERE aired and just this one was NOT. I cannot say for sure, but it's not very probable.

2. I also find it strange to see the Pixar Shorts that ARE included are older (max 2010). It seems they just stopped adding shorts in 2010?

3. The new Pixar short I saw in theatres, Piper (2016), should be added to thetvdb when it has aired on TV?

As a last resort I WILL add the short La Luna and also Piper to Moving Pictures, using your IMDB+ plugin. At least that way I can make them accessable, although not in the way I would prefer.

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The TheTVdB policy is to not allow stuff that hasn't aired, but it is only policed afterwards.

As a community contributor you can pretty much add whatever you want, and many users have done so, which is why you have a lot of content that is against the rules.

fredco

Portal Pro
    November 13, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well, TheTVdB has finally started working on the Pixar Shorts! Now "Piper" and "La Luna" (and more) have been added. Also some of "Mater's Tall Tales" (but not yet all of them) have been made part of the list of Pixar and all of the "Toy Story Toons". So that cleans things up alot!
    Still some strange additions though: quite a few shorts that belong to Disney have been added to season 2 with no obvious reason.

@RoChess: you say that as a community contributor you can add things, but ONLY if the series is not locked. And Pixar Shorts WAS locked. Season 1 still is, but season 2 is not...

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @fredco, you could right now add "Fredco's crazy TV show", and populate it full with data, but if it gets reported to or noticed by an admin it will probably get locked/removed/etc. (reason lock is popular, is so that others can't try to add it in again). That is why rules are established, and one of them is that TheTVdB content needs to have been aired on TV which the Pixar shorts do not qualify as. There can also not be any sports content for example.

That does not stop some contributors from ignoring the rules and still post it, and a lot of times due to sheer volume this content is overlooked and not moderated.

Not sure if that is the case with the new Pixar Shorts! you found, or if TheTVdB has adjusted their policy.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom