Pixel Ratio Adjustment - Explanation needed (1 Viewer)

techsc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2008
    Hello,

MP is connected to a 16:9 Format LCD Flat Screen at the native analog Resolution of 1024x768 Pixels.

The Problem:

TV- (DVB-T), DVD- and Videos in Widescreen-Format (16:9, 16:10, Cinema etc.) show large black bands on top and bottom of the picture. Regular TV-Format Pictures (4:3 etc.) are fine without a band.

To get rid of the black bands I started playing with the zoom modes (Normal, Zoom, Stretch, etc.). However, the bands did never go away completely - they are still very large!

Now, I've used the 'Pixel Ratio Adjustment' feature within MP. And here goes my general question:

The feature states 'Important for best quality change rectangle so it's perfectly square'.

Well, before adjusting anything, the rectangle showed already perfectly square! I played with it and found with a setting of 1.59 and a corresponding rectangle with large vertical sides and short horizontal sides the black bands in the widescreen movies vanished - while all regular formats (4:3 etc.) having still showing fine without any cropping or distortion!

- Is this the right procedure to remove the black bands?
    - Why does it look like the 4:3 formats aren't affected by the pixel ratio adjustment ?

Could someone explaing how this all can make sense?

TV-Server Version: 1.0
    MediaPortal Version:1.0
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue3Wide
    Windows Version:XP Pro SP3

techsc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2008
    The aspect ratio / black bands problem also exists on any other computer.

I have attached example shots from my 22 inch TFT, MP windowed mode (In Full Screen the same Problem persists).

As you can see, with a aspect ratio setting of 1.6 or more the black bands of the wide screen movie are much thinner.

Please advice a general approach for the problem as I feel this is not the correct solution.

techsc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2008
    Ok, still without a reply from the community I have come to the following:

The UI- and Screen-Calibration incl. aspect ratio affects the whole MP layout. I know that removing the tv&movie black bands via modifying pixel aspect ratio is the wrong approach.

So, please: Who can tell me to build more appropriate zoom modes in the DVD, Movie and TV view?

Thank you!

Here are the large black bands:

aspect_ratio_1_movie_wide_zoom_zoom.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom