ChrisOfCatford

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    London UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

I have a problem with a Philips Plasma TV conected to my PC.

It cuts out.

Some sort of relay goes click, sometimes frequently and sometimes after being used all day.

As it is connected to the PC, and I am pretty sure that the unit's sound system has something to do with it, I suspect that this could be the fault of my PC's sound card.

The card is a really old SB Live!

Has anyone else experienced any issues like this with a plasma/lcd tv connected to a PC?

Could it be to do with this sound card?

I suppose it could also be to do with the gfx card/lead etc.???

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    It cuts out.

Audio, video or both.

where's the click coming from, pc or tv.

what connections audio\video are you using.

Possibly something overheating.

With so little info, a bit hard to help diagnose ATM.

ChrisOfCatford

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    London UK
    Home Country
    Hi ray,

Thanks for the reply.

PC is connected by long VGA lead and audio is connected by a stereo mini-jack to stereo RCA 'multi-media' lead and an extender stereo mini-jack M to F.

Audio is just analog front stereo out.

The click is a relay (I assume) in the TV, and did initially seem happen when the TV was hot and had been on all day (like holidays when the kids' films are on all day).

When the click happens, the TV goes off, and into some sort of error state with a flashing red light. Sometimes it comes straight back on again though.

The reason that I started to think it was audio in related was because the audio is non-functional when the TV comes back on (sometimes after a soft tap on the front). De-selecting then re-selecting the PC as audio source brings this back online.

I reallise that this could just as easily be an issue with the TV and nothing to do with my PC, but it is a place to start that I am not afraid to pull to bits and replace bits.

charli181:

Thanks, but this looks more likely to be a software issue than my problem, which is most likely to do with my TV, perhaps brought on by something that my PC is doing (or maybe not).

Thanks,
    Chris

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    When the click happens, the TV goes off, and into some sort of error state with a flashing red light. Sometimes it comes straight back on again though

Hi cannot see anything your pc may do to cause this (no output would give you no signal error, correct!), but had a panasonic that decided to go into standby on its own. all you heard was a relay click and the thing turned itself off.

seems it was a faulty on\off pcb panel in the actual TV causing it to intermitantly happen, luckily it was under warranty at the time.

Really think it is a TV problem from what you described.

:sorry:

ps. this only happened to my tv when it was hot weather, so likely a bad solder joint on the pcb they replaced.

ChrisOfCatford

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    London UK
    Home Country
    Ok. Thanks anyway.

I suppose the hitting it turns it back on thing seems to point to dodgy solder.

Mine too started in hot weather/days with heating on.

Thanks,
    Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom