Playback freezing after a while (VMR9helper playing=>repaint) (1 Viewer)

mba

Portal Pro
September 16, 2005
Aarhus
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi jcee

I have been plagued by this problem for a long time now - I had both some small intermittend stutters and some large ones with durations of multiple seconds and often ending with a "no signal". The issue could be solved by skipping back some seconds playing over the same position again, this time with no problems whatsoever.
I don't know if my issues are related, as I'm using an analog 150mce card which encodes to mpeg in hw, as opposed to your dvb card which receives an mpeg stream. Maybe my 150mce makes errors in the mpeg data, but I think its very peculiar that it cannot render the stream at one time displaying the "no signal" box, and then after skipping back 15 seconds theres no trace of the error.

ps. I have at this point tried every conceivable tip and trick to overcome this problem, but with little/no success.

btw: It seems that the small stutters/jitter was solved by enabling forced vsync in my nvidia control panel. But the large ones has not been solved.

Kind regards
Martin B. Andersen

jcee

Portal Pro
November 23, 2004
Still have the freezes. And the logs reports playing/repaint events.

After selecting MPV over Nvidia it has become more stable, but far from perfect.

Is there any news? Was not Frodo looking after this?

Some people around here told to improve signal quality (antenny, cables etc.) I exchanged everything I could get hold of. But I do only live in a rental appartment, so nothing I can do on the wires in the walls and basement.

However all my normal settop boxes just went rigtht even withouth the cable upgrades.

As many people do have similar problems, it must be something to improve in MP/Windows in regard to fault tolerance to stream errors. (Which one could never get rid of 100%).

atomar

January 31, 2007
Home Country
It's an older thread but I can confirm to have similar problems.
Not so much with watching live TV but a recording.
With one channel in particular (Seven in Melbourne, Australia). I can playback a recording but almost always it will freeze at some stage. Skipping forward often resolves the issue but doing this every couple minutes is not a solution.
Playing the same file in media player works fine. There's the odd glitch here and there but it never freezes.

I also observe a similar problems when playing back avi files. Very very rarely but it does happen that these just freeze. Only the video freezes and the audio keeps playing on. No matter what button is pushed (stop, pause, skip, close) MP won't do a thing until I kill the process in task manager. If I restart the file it will happily play over the very same spot it froze up just a moment ago which suggests there's nothing wrong with the file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom