Playback issues on client (1 Viewer)

Berrigan

Portal Member
February 11, 2013
Home Country
Australia Australia
I have been using mediaportal for a few years as a single seat install , about 8 months ago I setup a server with only mediaportal on it under win7 and 3 clients in the house using various computers and frontends.
Everything was working perfectly until last week when we were unable to watch any recorded tv or play live tv on any computers even the server. ( this was wth both the mediaportal 1.16 front ends and a new build of KODI I have setup in the kids room. )

I initially tried sorting out only the server by using the windows recover point to get it back to a date when everything was working perfectly - did not fix the issue
Then a mediaportal full complete uninstall using the supplied uninstall program , I tried to used the new version 2 as a reinstall with again no playback of tv or recorded tv ( all only on the server to try and troubleshoot first )
I then used the uninstall program again I then tried to reinstall v1.16 - same issues.
I then did a full system format and reinstall of windows and a reinstall of v1.16 - everything back to the way is was and working on the server properly.
I then tried all the client computers both with kodi and mediaportal - they all see the tv guide fine and recorded programs but will not play any of them.
I then tried to use the uninstall program on one of the client pc's and a full reinstall but still the same issues.

I think there is something wrong in the registrys somehow but I am unable to do full reinstall of windows on each of the servers due to not having all the years of data or programs avasilable etc - how can I remove all registry entrys to do a proper full deletion of mediaportal so I can do a full clean install on each machine without reinstalling windows.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Berrigan

I think there is something wrong in the registrys somehow...
    I'd be extremely surprised if that's the case. As far as I'm aware we don't intentionally use the registry to store anything.

I've never been a fan of the reinstall-when-trouble-hits idea. Instead, I'd strongly encourage you to consider providing log files. It should be possible to figure out and solve whatever problem you have without the need for further reinstalls. Often it's faster too...

Berrigan

Portal Member
    February 11, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    This is the error log off one of the clients
    [2017-05-12 18:21:05,885] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - TSReaderPlayer: Failed to open file:rtsp://Server-PC:554/stream3.4 :0x80004005
    [2017-05-12 18:21:05,901] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - TSReaderPlayer:GetInterfaces() failed
    [2017-05-12 19:19:43,389] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - TVHome: WOL - Failed GetHostAddress - The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found
    [2017-05-12 19:19:47,570] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - WOLMgr: Ping failed - An exception occurred during a Ping request.
    [2017-05-12 20:55:29,342] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - TVHome: WOL - Failed GetHostAddress - The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found
    [2017-05-12 20:55:29,670] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - WOLMgr: Ping failed - An exception occurred during a Ping request.
    [2017-05-12 20:55:29,997] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - WOLMgr: Ping failed - An exception occurred during a Ping request.
    [2017-05-12 21:11:34,888] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - TSReaderPlayer: Failed to open file:rtsp://Server-PC:554/stream3.0 :0x80004005
    [2017-05-12 21:11:34,903] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - TSReaderPlayer:GetInterfaces() failed
    [2017-05-12 21:11:39,107] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - TSReaderPlayer: Failed to open file:rtsp://Server-PC:554/stream3.0 :0x80004005
    [2017-05-12 21:11:39,114] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - TSReaderPlayer:GetInterfaces() failed
    [2017-05-12 21:11:49,932] [Error ] [UpdateThumbnails] [ERROR] - Error fetching thumbnail Tony Robinson's Coast To Coast - SBS ONE - 2017-05-10.jpg from TV server - The process cannot access the file 'C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Thumbs\TV\Recorded\Tony Robinson's Coast To Coast - SBS ONE - 2017-05-10.jpg' because it is being used by another process.
    [2017-05-12 21:11:53,593] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - TSReaderPlayer: Failed to open file:rtsp://Server-PC:554/D588D2E7 :0x80004005
    [2017-05-12 21:11:53,600] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - TSReaderPlayer:GetInterfaces() failed

I agree a install is not the ideal solution but strange a full removal and reinstall didnt fix the server issue , only a full format and reinstall did.
    Also the fact the frontend both kodi and mediaportal are having the same issues

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Here is a log zip from a client
    (y)

The log file shows that MP on the client is failing to connect to or receive a response from the TV Server's streaming server:
    [2017-05-13 11:49:47,699] [ b5b7320] [15a0] - CRTSPClient::UpdateDuration(): RTSP DESCRIBE timed out, message = liveMedia1

This usually happens when security software (a firewall) is blocking the communication.
    Please ensure that any security software installed on both the clients and the server is configured to allow MP and TV Server to communicate.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I agree a install is not the ideal solution but strange a full removal and reinstall didnt fix the server issue , only a full format and reinstall did.
    In my opinion this clearly points to the cause being outside of MediaPortal. Within the last few months we've had reports of rogue Windows updates and security software (Avast) causing problems with MediaPortal. Maybe the same happened to you, I don't know... and unfortunately there's now no way to know for sure because you blew the installation away.

Also the fact the frontend both kodi and mediaportal are having the same issues
    I suspect you may be experiencing a new issue now. Either way, as I said in my previous reply, the symptoms point to a communication blockage between the clients and server.

Berrigan

Portal Member
    February 11, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I would have to agree , been having network errors for a while with homegroup - all updates are turned off though .
    I went and removed norton and checked the firewall and it allows mediaportal to use on the server.
    No change on the client issues , all the recorded tv shows ok as well as guide but will not let it play.
    Checked the server and it will play tv and recorded tv fine.
    Clients play movies fine but no TV.
    No antivirus on clients
    I am at a loss other than trying to do a full uninstall and reinstall.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I am at a loss other than trying to do a full uninstall and reinstall.
    Firewall on the clients configured appropriately?
    Can you also supply log files from the server? (I'll use them to check that TV Server's streaming server is up and running properly.)

Berrigan

Portal Member
    February 11, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yes checked firewalls , they all allow access to mediaportal.
    All movies are stored on the server and they can be accessed and played fine as well
    I can play the recorded shows from server via media player player on the clients just not through mediaportal.
    Attached logs from server

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Here's the problem:
    [2017-05-13 13:23:46,279] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: local ip address:169.254.229.239
    [2017-05-13 13:23:46,326] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: server running on Server-PC

...and earlier:
    [2017-05-12 21:08:36,550] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: local ip address:127.0.0.1
    [2017-05-12 21:08:36,613] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: server running on Server-PC

I'm not sure how knowledgeable you are when it comes to networking, but in short: it looks like your server's network adapter does not have a valid address... at least at the time MediaPortal's TV Server starts up. Without a proper address the clients won't be able to stream live TV or recordings (though using MediaPortal on the server won't be a problem, because in that case MediaPortal accesses the timeshift/recording files directly rather than streaming them), and I'd imagine you could expect a raft of other problems (such as the homegroup thing you mentioned) too.

So, how is your network setup?
    I mean, do you have a router or switch that everything connects to?
    ...and is that router or switch configured to assign network addresses (via DHCP) to the devices that connect to it?
    ...or have you configured static IP addresses on some or all of your devices?

To summarise: in the simplest possible terms, it looks like you have network problems... and as such, no amount of uninstalling and reinstalling MP will help. To solve the problems with MP you're going to have to get to the bottom of the network problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom