[solved] Playback stops when seeking to live point in recordings (1 Viewer)

Threarah

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2013
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    When seeking forward to the live point (scroll bar says END) in an active recording, playback stops and returns to the menu. This doesn't happen when watching a live channel directly. This doesn't appear to be channel specific (I thought it may have been related to a particular channel with a weird A/V delay/skew, but it happens on other, normal channels too) as in testing I reproduced it on three different channels. I can only reproduce it on a 'single seat' setup (MP + TV server running on same machine), and it doesn't appear to happen when streaming to other clients (MP only) on the LAN.

I've attached logs showing it happening several times. You should be able to tell which seeks were done on live TV or active recording from the logs themselves.

FWIW - I'm not sure if it's relevant - this is with the latest TsReader.ax from my other thread, although the same happens with the default 1.16 one as well. IIRC this has been happening since at least MP 1.15, though I'm not certain when it began.

Possibly relevant stuff:
    MP 1.16 single seat install
    Latest Windows 10 x64 (Creators Update)
    i3-7100 CPU + integrated graphics (latest drivers)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for the logs - I can see what is happening.

Basically TsReader allows seeking to within 3 seconds of the end of the file (which is what it's doing in the logs), but of course then it needs to read data forwards from that point to find a 'random access' point in the video stream so it can start playing cleanly. Then it reads ahead some more so that it has a (small) buffer of data to work with. At some point in all that it reaches the end-of-file, and because it's a recording (not live TV) it tells MP player that EOF has occured, and MP stops playback.

I think some of the problem in your case is caused by an 'excessive buffering' issue that I'm seeing in your logs but I can't reproduce on my system (even when playing the same file) - I'm working on that one at the moment, and I'm sure the end-of-file situation can be worked around.

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Got it! You have the TsReader registry key 'BufferingDelayInMilliSeconds' set to 5000ms, so it tries to buffer 5 seconds of data by reading ahead from the seek point, hence it reads off the end of the file...(since it was only 3 s from the end to start with).

So I just need to factor the buffering amount into the offset from the end-of-file e.g. in your case the 'seek limit' will need to be 8s from the end.

Threarah

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2013
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Nice find! I'd bumped that up a long time ago (2013?) to try to work around the other seeking issue, before it was properly fixed. I've changed it back to 0 and seeking to the end in an active recording works as expected now. I assume there's no benefit in having it increased any more?

Thanks a lot for your help :)

*edit* For the sake of posterity/anyone who Googles this in the future - the fix is here: [solved] - Possible (TsReader?) regression in 1.16

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom