Playing BD's and DVD's in MP1.4.0 (1 Viewer)

RikHouben

Portal Member
July 14, 2013
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
I've just installed MP1.4.0 on a new pc running Windows8 (64bit).
I've read a little in the Wiki and I had the impression that with the LAV codecs I should be able to play DVD's and BD's (the physical discs!) with menus. The BD's don't play at all and the DVD's start playing but I don't get any menus.
The strange thing is that the BD's are recognized by MP. I can see the correct title in the "Video" menu.
Ive set the BD region to "B". I live in Europe.

Am I doing something wrong or do I need an external player (Like PowerDVD) to play these discs?

Hardware:
AMD A8-5500
Mobo chipset: A85X
Screen: Panasonic TX-L42et5e (connected via hdmi)
optical disc station: Asus BW-12B1ST

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi, BD menu ( Java Menu) are not supported yet, only Title menu
    DVD working great, all menu can have displayed without issue,
    what is you setting in MP configuration -> Codec -> DVD Codec.
    and please provide Logs

RikHouben

Portal Member
    July 14, 2013
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi Azzuro, how do I know if the menu's on the BD are in Java? The discs don't play at all. So it's not only the menu's.
    DVD's start playing but I can't find a way to show the menu's. (I'm using a Logitech K400 keyboard as a remote)
    As far as I know I'm using LAV codecs. I find the setup menu interface a little confusing. It doesn't clearly show which selection is accepted. Maybe something went wrong with the installation of MP, because the behavior of the set-up menu's isn't what I expected. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

I'm happy to supply logs. If I only knew how.
    I'll look it up in the Wiki. (I'll have to learn how to use it anyway :) )

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Rik,

Did you read the limitations in the Wiki?
    I assume the problem is related to (missing?) on-the-fly decryption software, which you need to playback any commercial Blu-ray disc.

RikHouben

Portal Member
    July 14, 2013
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Are you referring to:
    MediaPortal now fully supports playing unencrypted Blu-ray discs (with the exception of BD-J discs using Java menus - for which MediaPortal will display a list of Titles for the user to access instead of displaying the Java menus). If the user wishes to play a commercial disc, then they will need to use a 3rd party on-the-fly decrypter such as AnyDVD HD[/URL] or DVDFab Passkey Lite.

So, if I want to play any commercial disk I need to install a decrypter, not only for BD-J discs?

What about DVDs? Is this also applicable for those?

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    So, if I want to play any commercial disk I need to install a decrypter, not only for BD-J discs?

Correct, you need a decrypter for EVERY commercial Blu-ray disc, including the BD-J discs.
    Not needed for DVDs (for as far as i recall, but haven't touched 1 of those in over 5 years)

RikHouben

Portal Member
    July 14, 2013
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Then Passkey for Blu-ray should do?
    Or would AnyDVD HD be a better option?

I've read about bdfree but I'm not sure if this is a good option with a 64bit OS. I tend to shut down the pc quite often. (I don't use it as a TV-server yet(don't know if I ever wil))

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Correct, you need a decrypter for every Blu-ray disc.
    Not sure about DVDs though, it's been over 5 years since i used 1 of those.

Passkey should do, but i would suggest to try Passkey Lite first (since it's free).

RikHouben

Portal Member
    July 14, 2013
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    OK, so I played a DVD just now and made a log from my actions.
    I have some remarks and questions right away:
    - how do I enter the DVD menu during play-back, using a keyboard?
    - I get irratic behaviour from mouse and keyboard when running MP. Mouse-clicks aren't always detected, keyboard strokes aren't always detected, delays between clicks and response...
    - Why do I see 128x720 pixels in the settings for "' GI kalibreren" while Ii have a full HD screen set to 1080p.
    - The OS gets quite sluggish when MP is running. I run Windows 8 x64 but it looks like MP is installed as a 32 bit application. Is that correct?

Your help is much appreciated. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom