Playing stereo and surround on receiver (1 Viewer)

pbb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 30, 2006
    Trondheim
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi all,

Please excuse me if what I am talkng about now is nonsense, I haven't figured it out yet and are reacting to commercial talk here...

Is it problematic to switch between stereo (or better said: analog) and surround (SPDIF) sound when using a receiver to power your speakers? I haven't got my PC connected to my receiver, but I see it has different input sources for analog and digital sound, and as I understand it, it is not commonly possible to play stereo sound over SPDIF.

So, does this mean I have to turn the input dial on the receiver when switching between MP3 and DVD playback?

Do I need a soundcard or motherboard that supports Soundstorm, Dolby Digital Live, DTS Connect, or another live surround sound mixer?

Thanks, Peter

Koudijs

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    as I understand it, it is not commonly possible to play stereo sound over SPDIF.
    S/PDIF can be used for stereo, ac3 and dts with a maximum sample frequency of 96 kHz.
    So there should be no need to switch your receiver between the analog and digital input.

Regards,
    Jan

pbb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 30, 2006
    Trondheim
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    as I understand it, it is not commonly possible to play stereo sound over SPDIF.
    S/PDIF can be used for stereo, ac3 and dts with a maximum sample frequency of 96 kHz.
    So there should be no need to switch your receiver between the analog and digital input.

Do you mean that every audio chip can play stereo over SPDIF?

By the way, I now see that my receiver has both analog and digital connectors for the same source, automatically switching to the audio signal with the highest quality. So that will also allow me to output both analog and digital sound from the PC...

Koudijs

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If your motherboard/soundcard has a digital output (coax or toslink) you can use it for stereo.
    Most likely you need to configure the driver to activate it.

Regards,
    Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom