[Finished] Please bring back instantskip in seconds. (1 Viewer)

sono

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 22, 2007
    Dear MediaPortal2 development team,

I am using MediaPortal (1) since a very early stage and I am very happy with the product. Now I am facing a renew of HW infrastructure and as such I started looking for MP2 (2.1.2). A pretty amazing product I have to admit. But one point really surprised me, and that is that instant skip no longer supports fix steps in seconds. This was one key feature my family really uses regularly, not only for skipping ads. I saw thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/bring-back-constant-immediate-skip-steps-please-mp2-summer-15.131247 which says it is fixed. But I still can't find the option in MP2 to enable it.

May you give me a short hint.

Many thanks in advance.
    BR Sono

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It is not an intended behavior if the instant skipping is not working. I have just tested the upcoming 2.1.3 version with videos and there the up/down is working for instant skip forward/backward, and also the left/right is doing the variable steps forward/backward.

So I suggest to update to 2.1.3 in next days :)

sono

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 22, 2007
    Hi morpheus_xx, thanks for the quick reply.

Well, instant skipping is working, but with MP2 I am no longer able to use my beloved direct skip by 5sec functionality as I do with MP1. In MP2 I am only able to configure percentages. I would really favor to get back the jump for 5 seconds.

Explaining an example: I stepped over nearly the entire advertisements by the variable step forward function (left). But then the TV channels bring "just one more spot" or "... continue in 15 .. 14 .. 13 .. seconds". The I push 3 times "up" (3x5=15sec) and so I am right back in the program. Using variable steps (left/right) is, caused by the short delay, not that precise and quick as up/down.

You see I use left/right for rough search/jump and up/down to fine tune. This helps to navigate as quick like in no receiver / tv program before.
    Therefore I would love to get back this functionality in MP2.

PS: Always looking forward for the new release :).

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You can configure both skip options inside settings:
    • Instant skip [percentage] (up/down)
    • Skip times [seconds] (left/right)
    Please note the instant skip in MP2 is on "up/down" keys and percentage based (not fixed seconds).

sono

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 22, 2007
    Please note the instant skip in MP2 is on "up/down" keys and percentage based (not fixed seconds).
    But that is exactly what I asked whether it is possible to change. As i tried to explain me an my family are really used to have this fixed seconds jump on the "up/down" keys. And I would really favour to get this function as well into MP2. So to say it is a key feature for us.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, I understand. This could be added to 2.2 release, but will take some time until there will be some public build of it.

It requires a new option to toggle between percentage and seconds and code change in some models.

sono

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 22, 2007
    That would be wonderful if it could be achieved, then I am even more looking forward for the next major release ;). Many thanks for being that supportive.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    After thinking a bit more about this topic, I'd recommend you to try following settings:
    • Settings -> Player -> Common
      • Instant skip percent: 1%
      • Skip intervals: remove unwanted ones, add more common ones
      • Instant skip timeout (s): 1
    By this you have two advantages even in current version:
    • Instant skips are very short (1 percent of video duration)
    • Skip intervals can be extended, i.e. I added 7 min to skip common ad block lengths here. Others are having even 10 min, that I also use often
    • Decreased skip timeout allows quicker skipping after step was chosen.
    I think that this can improve the acceptance ;)

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    After thinking a bit more about this topic, I'd recommend you to try following settings:
    • Settings -> Player -> Common
      • Instant skip percent: 1%
      • Skip intervals: remove unwanted ones, add more common ones
      • Instant skip timeout (s): 1
    By this you have two advantages even in current version:
    • Instant skips are very short (1 percent of video duration)
    • Skip intervals can be extended, i.e. I added 7 min to skip common ad block lengths here. Others are having even 10 min, that I also use often
    • Decreased skip timeout allows quicker skipping after step was chosen.
    I think that this can improve the acceptance ;)
    I honestly don’t understand this ;) Is it something, that can be done currently or a plan for a next version? I do not see a benefit and relation to the request of setting fixed steps in seconds :whistle:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My steps above apply to any available MP2.1 build, so it can help now to tweak settings.

A solution to allow seconds can only be added to MP2.2, which will still take quite a long time to release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom