Please comment this setup (1 Viewer)

Lily

Portal Member
November 29, 2005
A8N-VM CSM

I'm in the middle of building my new HTPC, and I'm using this board (A8N-VM CSM) currently. Although I don't intend to play any game with this board, but I want a video card better than an entry level card such as ATI 9250. Anyway, I can't remember what the benchmark test was, but is definately better than ATI Radeon 9250 chipset and playing DVD & capturing TV etc...is absolutely no problem. The reason I chosen this board is because it has TV-Out feature on board. So, I don't need to buy a separate video card while connecting to my TV. One thing I can't get it fully working is the dual mode between my monitor & TV. But I decide I will not connect my monitor and save the money not having to purchase a separate video card.

I didn't choose the Gigabyte motherboard because it didn't fit in my Silverstone LC11M case and also didn't have the TV-Out feature.

So far, everything running well. But I heard that this motherboard chipset may have some bug while saving large file onto serial ata hard drive. I haven't done any research about this bug yet, and didn't have enough time to test it yet too. Since I'm still deciding what tv card i should get.

Hope my feedback help your decision.

fathead

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
Athlon 3200+, I presume you mean the Athlon64 as that board is socket 939 :wink:

If you wait until after christmas, the cheaper Sempron 939's will be out & more than good enough for a HTPC setup.

colincliff

Portal Member
September 27, 2005
civikdude - I'm having real problems with dvb-t stuttering with a A8N-VM CSM mobo and a Hauppauge Notv-t pci also.

Did you find a fix for the stuttering - i've done several xp reinstalls and am on the latest bios but cannot get a steady picture for more than a few seconds (i get perfect reception through a set-top box)

let me know if you fix it!

civikdude

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
U.S.A.
colincliff said:
civikdude - I'm having real problems with dvb-t stuttering with a A8N-VM CSM mobo and a Hauppauge Notv-t pci also.

Did you find a fix for the stuttering - i've done several xp reinstalls and am on the latest bios but cannot get a steady picture for more than a few seconds (i get perfect reception through a set-top box)

Wish I could help, but I haven't even purchased my new components yet. Sorry to hear you're having troubles. What processor are you running on that board? What, and how much, memory?

Is anyone here running the ASUS A8N-VM CSM successfully? If so, what are your hardware specs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom