[Plugin] [CLOSED] WOL-PowerManager (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJC

Portal Pro
March 10, 2012
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi Guzzi,

Please find attached updates source (version 0402). I've also attached the new dll in case anyone wishes to give it a test run.

Wireless access points will not "route" general broadcasts, so a "directed" wake-up is required in order to wake-up a server on the LAN from a wireless device. This version calculates the broadcast address for the subnet where the server resides so that a directed wake-up broadcast can be sent to the subnet.

The implementation requires the subnet address for the server that needs awakening. I don't see a way to get that programmatically, so the plug-in attempts to find the subnet mask for the local adapter and uses this subnet mask for the broadcast address calculation (I say "attempts" because the local computer may have several IPs if it has multiple NICs, virtual or otherwise). Because the plug-in can't reliably tell what the local computer IP is (nor the server IP for that matter) to get the subnet mask, I've made those fields optionally editable in the setup screen. The user can then correct the settings if the plug-in makes the wrong "guess". Users should use "ipconfig" on the server to get the correct IP and subnet mask, but the "guess" should be correct for 99% of users.

The implementation now supports everything that a general WOL utility provides. You can wake up computers on the same or other subnets and even do so from the Internet if you set up port forwarding in your router's NAT settings.

I also took the liberty of cleaning up some of the English whenever I noticed something odd.

Please let me know if you notice anything wrong or not working as expected. I've noted that I can't get Manual Control to work on my PC, but I think it's a MP setup issue with using the blue button on my remote.

Attachments

• WOLPowerManager.zip
    155.4 KB
  • WOLPowerManagerDLL.zip
    90.7 KB

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    This one is working quite well, excerpt for the problem on some systems for a need to modify the hosts file described here. Version 0.3 did not had the need for this. Seppi and me (testing only) had done some work to remove this glitch. But I definietly prefer a version with this glitch than no version at all. So thanks a lot.

GJC

Portal Pro
    March 10, 2012
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks for the feedback Lehmden. Yes, I recall having to add an entry into my hosts file just to stream TV properly to my laptop when it's connected wirelessly, but I didn't seem to need it for WOL. I'll try removing the hosts file entry tonight and see if I can reproduce the issue.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Thanks GJC for your contribution - made a quick test and seems to work ok.
    @Lehmden: If you tell us, what changes you made, they can be incorporated - seems, Seppi didn't update SVN to latest version.
    In any case, it would be good, to actually commit the code to svn - and create a new MPE installer package (after tests show all is ok...).

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Sorry, I can't tell. I've got compiled binaries from Seppi and tested them until we got a working solution. I've never seen the source (I am no developer at all) But I found some of the old conversations between Seppi and me, maybe this helps:
    Until now I think the problems occurs because of different DNS Server settings. Our DNS Server saves the IP of every client, even if it's offline. If WOL-PowerManager tries to Wake up a offline client he asks the DNS Server, which IP the Domain of the Server has. Your Server seems to don't save the IP and returns a error.
    Lots of the conversation was in IRC and is gone forever... But this was the main problem, I remember...

Moviejunkie80

Portal Pro
    July 23, 2011
    Malters
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    @Lehmden

Ich habe gestern diese Plugin installiert und eingestellt.

Nun bekomme ich beim MP Start stehts die Windows Fehlermeldung: Media Portal.exe funktioniert nicht mehr

Woran könnte das liegen? Habe die Version 0.3 installiert.

Solltest du Logs benötigen, würde ich dir die heute Abend nachreichen, da ich grad im Büro hocke. :(

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Ja, Logs und auch die Details der Windows- Fehlermeldung wären hilfreich. Aber hier ist das englische Forum,
    So let's continue in English...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    You can start a thread in German forum every time, so no need to learn English first... ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom