[Plugin] MPSync - MediaPortal multi-seat Synchronization (4 Viewers)

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    I was getting the same error with v0.0.0.3, but v0.0.0.4 installs and loads ok, but the browse buttons do not open a window to select any location (had to paste it manually in the text field) and the button to set synchronisation direction does nothing. It is always stuck at both directions on both master and client

So until this gets fixed, it will have to stay deactivated :(

Tried to finish the new request to select databases as quickly as possible and didn't re-test everything :(, but an update has been released to fix the issues reported here (y). Please download v0.0.0.5 Beta from repository link in post #1.

Regards[DOUBLEPOST=1363897313][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Pog, as long as the thumbs/artwork have the same path on your master HTPC and on your client HTPCs, eg. on both master and client thumbs are found in C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs, then there should not be an issue using this plugin as long as you copy the artwork manually!! I think it will be a bit of an overhead to copy across the artwork as well, unless there is popular demand to do such a development.
    There is - and I can tell you why :) With a multiseat setup and MPExtended/WebMediaPortal installed on the TV server, I will not have databases and thumbs on the server. This is where your plugin comes in - for the databases, so far. Would be great to also have the option to syncronize thumbs to display in WebMediaPortal. Currently I have to do this manually.

Requiem, will see what I can do.

Last edited:

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Great, thanks a lot! Shouldn't this be easy as you have a sync framework running already? Isn't it "just" the addition of another directory?

Badger.66

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi m3rcury,
    good work on your plug-in.

I have a question about a the whole multi-seat set up for this plug in.

In my set up I have 3 Mediaportal machines
    the
    Server machine A (all Media is kept on this Machine)
    and two low power HTPC
    Client b and Client c

In your set up you advise
    The Client b set up as
    Source DB = Centralized (on Server machine A I guess)
    Target DB = local ( on Client b machine)

the server (Master Setup)
    Source DB = on client b Machine
    Target DB = on Server A

if set up on Client c is the same as on Client b then does it matter that their is no formal arrangement
    from Server A and Client C

Thanks

Collective

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    v0.0.0.5 installs and appears to work fine now. Thanks (y)
    I would like to add my support for thumbs synchronisation since I store them on local SSD's as well to speed up loading and browsing
    Surely copying 1 or 2 newly added covers and episode thumbs etc at a time won't take up too much bandwidth, resources or time.

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    Great, thanks a lot! Shouldn't this be easy as you have a sync framework running already? Isn't it "just" the addition of another directory?

Requiem, currently the synchronisation works at record level in the databases and it is not copying over files, but it is doable. In fact, I already have another plugin, MPCleaner, which is scanning the thumbs folders for housekeeping, so am putting this request on the to do list.[DOUBLEPOST=1363931742][/DOUBLEPOST]
    v0.0.0.5 installs and appears to work fine now. Thanks (y)
    I would like to add my support for thumbs synchronisation since I store them on local SSD's as well to speed up loading and browsing
    Surely copying 1 or 2 newly added covers and episode thumbs etc at a time won't take up too much bandwidth, resources or time.

Thanks Collective. Agreed that once the synchronisation has run for the first time, it should not create too much copying...my only concern is the thumbs folder comparison between the source and the target machine, but will come up with an efficient way to do that :p.

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    Hi m3rcury,
    good work on your plug-in.

I have a question about a the whole multi-seat set up for this plug in.

In my set up I have 3 Mediaportal machines
    the
    Server machine A (all Media is kept on this Machine)
    and two low power HTPC
    Client b and Client c

In your set up you advise
    The Client b set up as
    Source DB = Centralized (on Server machine A I guess)
    Target DB = local ( on Client b machine)

the server (Master Setup)
    Source DB = on client b Machine
    Target DB = on Server A

if set up on Client c is the same as on Client b then does it matter that their is no formal arrangement
    from Server A and Client C

Thanks

Badger.66, you need to identify which one from A,B or C will act as the first source PC, i.e. which one will do the movie/series scraping. Once you decide that, ideally that machine should then synchronise it's database to a copy on A (if A is not doing the scraping). The other machine should then synchronise from A to it's local copy.

For simplicities sake, let us take the below example.

A is the server
    B is the HTPC doing the scraping
    C is another HTPC

So on B, the plugin setup should be:

B -> A (B set as source synchronising to A which is set as target)

And on C, the plugin setup should be:

A -> C (A set as source synchronising to C which is set as target)

The above setup will allow you to import movies only from machine B and share to any other, hence if you later on decide to add a new HTPC, you just set up same as C.

Hope I have explained :).

Pog

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 7, 2009
    Wicklow
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Is there potential issues with plugins that store their settings in the DB? TVSeries works this way I believe.

This would mean that each client will end up with the masters settings and each would initiate a import/scrape.

How does the 2-way sync work or is this even possible? Can changes such as watched-flags etc be propagated between clients?

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    wow, THE plugin I've been waiting for. I'll give it a try,

Thanks !

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    Just to keep you updated, am making good progress on the thumbs folder synchronisation...:D

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    Is there potential issues with plugins that store their settings in the DB? TVSeries works this way I believe.

This would mean that each client will end up with the masters settings and each would initiate a import/scrape.

How does the 2-way sync work or is this even possible? Can changes such as watched-flags etc be propagated between clients?

Pog, at the moment, the plugin will synchronise everything, so yes, plugins like TVSeries and MovingPictures will have their settings/options table synchronised as well.

Regarding 2-way sync, what it does is add whatever is in client A to client B and vice-versa. I still need to do some tweaking on this method of sync as I need to add that if a record exists in both clients, the most recent one updates the other...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom