[Plugin] WOL-PowerManager (1 Viewer)

darkside40

Portal Pro
August 17, 2009
Ruhrgebiet
Home Country
Germany Germany
This plugin is one of the most useful on my HTPC setup.

Nevertheless i would love to ask a question: Would it be possible to extend the plugin in a way that it could also wake i my server when a recording should be started? So that instead onto the local HDD my TV Client could save it's recording on my NAS?

This should also be doable with the comskip launcher, althought i had not had the time to try it yet.

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
January 21, 2010
Braunschweig
Home Country
Germany Germany
OK, I guess this is the right thread to find people who can help me with my system to be set up to be able to WOL. I adjusted everything just like some pages on the internet tell and I can start my HTPC via WOL but only for a short time. I did not measure but it feels like a minute or so. I tried other setting, but those didn't let it start at all. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction, since I am going to upgrade from a single to a multiseat setup and the server therefore needs to start remotely. Thanks for any help in advance.

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    OK, I guess this is the right thread to find people who can help me with my system to be set up to be able to WOL. I adjusted everything just like some pages on the internet tell and I can start my HTPC via WOL but only for a short time. I did not measure but it feels like a minute or so. I tried other setting, but those didn't let it start at all. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction, since I am going to upgrade from a single to a multiseat setup and the server therefore needs to start remotely. Thanks for any help in advance.

I think it is a router problem. It has something to do with "arp table".

I had a similar problem, trying to wake up my server from outside my network. When I "enabled" this arp thing, it worked. Without it I could only wake up my server in the first minute or so after putting it to sleep.

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for your tip, it sounded right, but now I figured out, that your problem is specifically concerning wakeup reqests from the internet. It should work alright from inside my network, but it doesn't. The router knows the IP address of all my computers and does not forget any of them.

I did some measuring and found out, that the WOL reqest is still working after 15 minutes, but next morning it didn't wake up.
    What else might be the problem? Any ideas?

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks for your tip, it sounded right, but now I figured out, that your problem is specifically concerning wakeup reqests from the internet. It should work alright from inside my network, but it doesn't. The router knows the IP address of all my computers and does not forget any of them.

I did some measuring and found out, that the WOL reqest is still working after 15 minutes, but next morning it didn't wake up.

This is as far as my knowledge goes, sorry :)

jojo1411

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

From your decription I would also bet on an expired arp entry. Please try to add an static arp cache entry on your computer or router.
    For Windows:
    arp -s [ip_address_of_server] [mac_address_of_server]
    NOTE: This entry will get lost on reboot of the machine!!

Last edited:

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmm, what I now figured out is, that my machine now even won't wake up directly after going to standby. Although I did not change a thing. So no WOL at all.
    I rebooted it and now it works again. I will have an eye on how long it takes untill it won't wake up again.

Do you still think it is an arp issue? I usually start my machine using the Couchpotatoe app from eitehr my iPhone or iPad or I tried it by using my router (fritz box 7320), if it works it works from all devices and the other way around, too.

lightman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 28, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    keep up tha great work! maybe integration in MePo of this plugin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom