Poll - Hauppauge MediaMVP Support (1 Viewer)

Would you have use for MediaMVP support

• Total voters

TritonT

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Dadeo

I agree that the MVP is fantastic value for money. But there is a reason for that. Video output is poor and the sound output is poor and the interface is sluggish. I know, I've got one. I would be hard pressed to get a XBox - mod it - add a remote control - install XBMC for the same money as the MVP, but as a client it would be much better. My own XBMC XBoxes don't get much use any more as I don't have any non-HD TVs.

I have a Noxon2, which I use as an audio only player but not with MediaPortal as a server. I have used it with and without an external DAC and it has always sounded pretty good. Interface is not that great though.

I have installed the DSM-520 for other people, but I do not have one. It is the best box I've seen so far, but even it fails to play some files it should be capable of playing.

What are the chances!!! I have just noticed that Kaoh has just started developing a UPnP server plugin for MediaPortal.

mpTinoMediaServer beta

This should give support to any MVP running MediaMVP Media Center (mvpmc), assuming the limitation that the MVP can’t play very many file types. Hopefully I'll get some time to test it, got to try the Noxon2 first though!

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hey TritonT,
    Thanks for the great news. Have you had a chance to check out the UPnP server plug in yet? Will it run with the basic Hauppauge software or do you need mvpmc? Any tips you have for using it with the MVP would be much appreciated.

dm96b12

August 1, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi Dadeo

I just started using MediaPortal, so I’m no expert. But I like the idée of having the MVP acting as a thin Upnp client.

Yesterday I tested the Upnp setup using the mvpmc software.

Streaming of audio and JPEG files seems to work just fine.

But I encountered some errors when trying to stream video (MEPG/MPEG2). I was able to view the first 10-20 sec. of the files, but then the MP software crashed due to an unknown exception

I think I need to test with another Upnp client to figure out whether this problem is related to the MVP or perhaps a faulty installation of the mpTinoMediaServer plugin

Br
    Dm96b12

jonxm05

Portal Member
    March 8, 2007
    Gadera
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Hi

Still feel a bit to new around here to be making requests but as a GBPVR user I have had a MPV in my bedroom for quit a while and no it's not HD and its audio is only stereo but for my bedroom on a 26" SD TV its dose its job great.

I use it as a front end for GBPVR to do ....

Live TV
    Video Playback MPG , XVID , DIVX
    MP3
    Web Radio
    weather
    Pictures

All this and it cost me $69 US

I really do believe it would be a welcome addition to MP

Jonx

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hey dm96b12:

How did you get it working? I get an unhandled exception error when I try and configure the plugin!

How did you install the mvpmc software to enable it?

Does it work for streaming Divx videos? Did you get the mpeg1/2 to work?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Error solved with 2.3.0 RC1

I solved my exception error by installing 2.3.0 RC1, but I still can't figure out how to configure MP to work with my MVP using the mptinoserver plugin. Any help?

baroso

September 6, 2007
    Status on Hauppauge MediaMVP

Hi,

I would like to know what the latest status on the integration of the Hauppauge MediaMVP is?

Is it already being worked on? If yes, when are we able to use it?

I'm in the middle of deciding to either buy SageTV or use MP!

thx
    baroso

dljones8053

November 24, 2006
    Virginia
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    MVP

Did you install a codec other then DScaler the comes with MP I find DEScaler is a resource hog so I run ffdshow which takes less resources and all my video/audio works for AVI, MPEG, MPEG4 you get the picture. I love my MVP no noise in the viewing room and timeshift works great as well. :eek:

miguel123

December 26, 2007
    Hi,

This thread seems to have gone silent... in a dark hole? Well anyway it doesn't seem to have reached a resolution which is always a waste of a thread isn't it. :)
    I'm fairly new to media portal but I've tested every piece of Media software out there and ultimately I'd really like to make MP the last one! :) I love it! :D to all those who have made it so good. Slick... slick... SLICK :D

But when it comes to the whole concept of a Media Centers ... well they are centers aren't they.
    A single point of entertainment accessible from any place in my home is my ideal.

Now I think having to put a HTPC in every room where I want to access MP is well.... well it's not sensible is it?
    As I've said I've tried them all and of them all SageTV 6.4 does this best but still not great. Take away TV serving and SageTV is so average in comparison to MP.

I'd love to see support of any reasonably priced SD media extender under MP. Hauppage MVP is a reasonable start. IMHO MP has to have good extender support or it's just not a viable centralized media center solution.
    While I'm here I may as well add that I'd love to see live TV streaming on the extender! SagetV pretends to do it (it's fancy footwork to serve a cache of the recording buffer) and a similar premise on MP would be good enough.... :D

Just my 2p worth but for MP to really rock the foundations of their competition it really really needs stable extender support.

My last piece... have you ever considered a pledge system for encouraging development?

I'd pledge $$$ to MP if we could have MVP support with some sort of live TV channel serving included 'a la' SageTV.
    I know this isn't all about money but everyone has bills to pay don't they.
    The beauty of a pledge system is people can put their money where their mouth is and commit to paying for something. If it happens they pay. It's often trust based but I 'think' it could seriously encourage revenue for MP ... I think it would rid us of a few people who ask for the world on a stick and expect others to provide it for nothing... and we'd be well rid of them? IMHO ;)

Thanks for listening.
    M :D

( I hope I didn't break any etiquette in posting like I have... if I did feel free to 'politely' put me str8!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom