Poll - Hauppauge MediaMVP Support (1 Viewer)

Would you have use for MediaMVP support

• Total voters

fathead

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
How would you link it in with MP though? Would the MVP take control of your main box, or could the main box & the MVP run independently e.g. listen to music on the MVP, whilst controlling TV on the main system.

I'm really really interested in this feature.

Alfiegerner

Portal Member
October 22, 2005
There's potentially quite a few configurations. The way mine is set up is so that you effectively have 2 clients, the MVP and the computer that the server is running on. The MVP sits in my lounge and the server / client PC sits in my spare room conencted to a TV up there. Both clients can access the services provided by the server, like Live Tv (provided you have enough TV cards to go around), videos, music etc.

The only downside with the MVP is that it cannot natively decode any video formats beyond mpeg2 and music formats beyond mp3. There is a workaround though - the hauppauge software transcodes other codec varieties on the fly so that you can still stream these through the MVP. Sage is also working on this at the moment.

Back to configurations for a mo, the model most people use is basically many clients to one server - in theory the limit to the number of clients (MVP or PC) you can attach to one server is imposed by the horsepower of the server machine and the speed of the network.

fathead

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
Sounds excellent. These MVPs can be picked up for around £50, and would make a great way of extending media portal outside of my living room.

i have a dedicated HTPC in the living room running MP, my aim is to have full access to the movies & music from my loft room. With that I would only need an MVP & a wireless access point. Its a shame Hauppauge didn't think more about this & create a wireless MVP in the first place.

Alfiegerner

Portal Member
October 22, 2005
Yeah an out of the box wireless solution would be good. You can use one of those linksys adapters designed for games consoles (can't remember the model right now.) I know a few guys on the Sage forums are using them with success. They're a little pricey if I remember rightly, something like £50+.

fathead

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
Alfiegerner said:
Yeah an out of the box wireless solution would be good. You can use one of those linksys adapters designed for games consoles (can't remember the model right now.) I know a few guys on the Sage forums are using them with success. They're a little pricey if I remember rightly, something like £50+.

See thats the shame, defeats the main benefit of the MVP. By adding £50, you area already looking at over £100 per MVP client. :cry:

Hauppage need to get back to the drawing board & create a V2 with built in wireless.

fathead

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
My goal is a wireless media home in the long run, and this could be that one extra stage closer - I can't see any other HTPC software developing so fast as to support such ideas.

Where the MVP fails for me is for audio streaming - I need something that will work without the need for a user interface screen. Something such as the Roku soundbridge might just be the trick for that aspect.

Whatever happens Media Portal is my base, from there I need to get hardware & software that will work with it to create my wireless dream.

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,
Now MP has a seperate back end would it be possible to have support for the MVP?

Pete
MP does not have a seperate back end yet. It's under development, yes. So nobody can tell anything about support for 3rd party hardware yet. Let's talk again in let's say half a year. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom