[Rejected] Possibility to have a 'Favorites' TV-series view (1 Viewer)

raffe

Portal Pro
March 28, 2008
In MP-TVSeries you can "Change view...", and among other choices there we have "Favorites".

When you right click on a series you get a menu, and among other choices there we have "Add Series to View..." (here I can choose Favorites) and "Remove Series from View..." (if it is not a favorite anymore).

The Favorites view is really good to have when you are about to choose a series to watch and there are over 500 series to choose from, but you know there are only about 30 that everyone likes.

My suggestion is to implement something similar in MP2 :)

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In MP-TVSeries you can "Change view...", and among other choices there we have "Favorites".

When you right click on a series you get a menu, and among other choices there we have "Add Series to View..." (here I can choose Favorites) and "Remove Series from View..." (if it is not a favorite anymore).

The Favorites view is really good to have when you are about to choose a series to watch and there are over 500 series to choose from, but you know there are only about 30 that everyone likes.

My suggestion is to implement something similar in MP2 :)
    In MP2 Favourites are part of HomeContent and defined based on the frequency of media items played. E.g. if you listen to an album 5 times it seems to be a favourite album. Many library based softwares (Kodi, Plex, ...) handle it also like that.
    There is no plan to define own favourite views at the moment, because it would conflict a bit with the existing model and the use case in comparison to effort is rather low and we have a long existing task list already.

raffe

Portal Pro
    March 28, 2008
    the use case in comparison to effort is rather low and we have a long existing task list already.
    OK, I understand! If you later have room in the task list, maybe make a simple solution?
    1. When you "Add Series to Genre Favorites..." or "Remove Series from Genre Favorites..." you actually add or remove a "Genre" named "Favorites" to the Series.
    2. Then you can use the already existing feature Filter - Genre (and then choose Favorites) to see your favorites.

Last edited:

MrBobC

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This is the one thing stopping me from moving to MP2, and I imagine many others as well. In MP1 with the MP-TVSeries and Moving Pictures plugins I can have create views for the TV Shows. Instead of scrolling through 500 TV shows you can filter/view ones that have been self-designated as "Kids Shows" or "Current Shows" or "New Shows." For my kids on MP1 I have a set of TV series that pop up for them that is a different view than one for the adults. Likewise in Moving Pictures I have views for Kids (Based on phrasing of the folder name, contains "Kids"), 4K (In the 4K folder), Blu-Rays (In the Blu-Ray folder), DVDs (in the DVD folder), and "Recently Added" which shows those added in the last 30 days, although a sort by date added could get around that particular one.

Basically a way to create our own views of the content imported, and then a way to select those views, maybe even default views, so for example the default view for my kids' rooms can be the kids shows.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think MP2 offers enough features to cover most points, it was never based on MP1 nor will be changed more into the direction to work like MP1.
    "Continue Watching", "Latest Added", "Unwatched" are available in home screen in the home content area, see here. It was also explained earlier in this thread.
    You can always filter by genre (e.g. animation, family, ..) or by age rating (all international formats are supported, if correctly tagged).
    MP2 can even more. If you enable user management, you can directly filter out media sources, define age limits for kid users and only corresponding media items will be shown. See here. --> Create a kids share, restrict all other shares to the kid user, or create a favourite share and restrict all other shares to the favourite user. It's even syncing between all clients for the same user (nothing MP1 can do).

If you want to filter by DVD or Bluray you need to use the folder view, but losing many library features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom