Possibillity to add more Movie Folders in Menu (1 Viewer)

cbr954rr

Portal Pro
October 31, 2016
Home Country
Germany Germany
I've sorted my movies in different folders for "Spielfilme" (movies) and "Kinderfilme" (children movies) is there a possibillity to show a second movie entry in the menu for different movie folders? At the moment I have added my movies to movies and and the children movies to videos, but thats not very comfortable. :(

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    is there a possibillity to show a second movie entry in the menu for different movie folders?
    This is done by using genres. Movies get imported with different attributes that can be used for sorting and displaying.

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes, genres are the base for this but did not offer a direct possibility to have two different entries in the main menu....

If it's possible and how to do so is skin dependent. As far as I know the WMC skin has a home menu editor where you (probably) may be able to add a second entry for movies with a filter (never used WMC skin myself so I don't know).

The BlueVision skin did not have such an editor but you can edit an xml file with the menu structure to your needs. But this is not trivial. You need to know a lot about the internal structures of MP2, if you want to personalize your main menu more deeply... If you want to edit the xml file, you may search the forum. Some time ago this was described somewhere.

cbr954rr

Portal Pro
    October 31, 2016
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This is done by using genres. Movies get imported with different attributes that can be used for sorting and displaying.

To use genres is not an option i will not have horror videos or adult movies in the same folder then children movies.

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

you can separate movies physically on your harddisk like I do for instance separated by genres:

Code:
    All are folders:

Filme
      |---- Abenteuer
      |        |---- Assassin's Creed (2016)
      |        |---- Cast Away (2000)
      |---- Action
      |---- Doku
      |---- Drama

Serien
      |---- Abenteuer
      |---- Action
      |---- Doku
      |---- Drama

You get the picture.

MP2 reads the folder structure into its database and then you can sort via the options in the 'Movies' and 'Series' screen. Be it all movies, alphabetically, genres, FSK etc.

On this way you movie order is physically separated on your harddisk. If you don't want your kids to see the horror movie on the selection screen just use the user management in the MP2 settings to filter out the unappropriate movies completely. Make two users 'Adults' and 'Kids' for instance and restric tthe rights to the 'Kids' user. I have it this way and my kids only can watch up to FSK12 movies and series. See Wiki for details.

Cheers

Blue Max

cbr954rr

Portal Pro
    October 31, 2016
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

you can separate movies physically on your harddisk like I do for instance separated by genres:

Code:
    All are folders:

Filme
      |---- Abenteuer
      |        |---- Assassin's Creed (2016)
      |        |---- Cast Away (2000)
      |---- Action
      |---- Doku
      |---- Drama

Serien
      |---- Abenteuer
      |---- Action
      |---- Doku
      |---- Drama

You get the picture.

MP2 reads the folder structure into its database and then you can sort via the options in the 'Movies' and 'Series' screen. Be it all movies, alphabetically, genres, FSK etc.

On this way you movie order is physically separated on your harddisk. If you don't want your kids to see the horror movie on the selection screen just use the user management in the MP2 settings to filter out the unappropriate movies completely. Make two users 'Adults' and 'Kids' for instance and restric tthe rights to the 'Kids' user. I have it this way and my kids only can watch up to FSK12 movies and series. See Wiki for details.

Cheers

Blue Max

Nice, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom