[ATI] Post-processing necessity? (1 Viewer)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: AW: Post-processing necessity?

I'm also thinking about exchanging my HD5450 with a 6570. One main Question do i need GDDR5? Oder is DDR3 enough?

I doubt memory speed will make a massive difference for video playback (only gaming). I think the processing power of the GPU is all you actually need for HTPC

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Post-processing necessity?

I'm not sure about that. In the past it was often the memory which mades problems on HTPC. For example you had to buy a HD5450 with DDR3 instead of DDR2 to use all postprocessing options.

Does somebody know if the HQVD 2.0 test is done with CCC default settings? At the moment i deactivate all reduction and enhancement settings...

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country

Does somebody know if the HQVD 2.0 test is done with CCC default settings? At the moment i deactivate all reduction and enhancement settings...
    Depends who does the test. Looks like Toms Hardware have a standard config
    AMD Video Quality Driver Settings : Video Quality Tested: GeForce Vs. Radeon In HQV 2.0

I think the issue with memory and the 5450 was that it was borderline and had very little headroom. AIUI the 6570 is powerful enough to run at full power without limitations. Worth doing some more digging anyway. Only passive 6570 I have seen is DDR3 though

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    I think this is the main issue, no one is really sure when it comes to HTPC functionality.

I have always gone for the fastest memory GDDR3 (in the past) or GDDR5 (nowadays). I run with most PP effects enabled - denoise, mosquito, etc..

Some "purists" state you should not have any PP effects enabled, but I have found they do help.

I do know some manufacturers have written into their drivers to detect the model of card and either allow/disallow PP effects.

Have a read of this:

Video Quality Tested: GeForce Vs. Radeon In HQV 2.0 : How Do We Scrutinize High-Definition Video Quality?

J.

ps - Jameson beat me to it! ;)

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    But who can wait for a passive gddr5 model? :)

My HIS is on the way now.

Mew

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2007
    Hertfordshire
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi disaster123

Do you think that DDR5 against DDR3 would make much difference in a PC that is only being used as an HTPC?

My HD5450 is fine for most things (1080P video with DTS-HDMA) but doesn't quite have the power for Vector Adaptive deinterlacing for 1080i which is why I am looking at a HD6570. As it is an HTPC, quiet (or silent) is a must.

Thanks

Mew

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Post-processing necessity?

That's the question. I only know that in the past the memory speed was very often a limiting factor for 1080i. Look at Hd3200 onboard or 4200onboard and so on. I know it's not the same as they were using the onboard RAM. But they were capable of 1080i if the memory weren't limiting. So i'm afraid that that if i buy a DDR3 model it won't be fast enough ;-(

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

I'm also thinking about exchanging my HD5450 with a 6570. One main Question do i need GDDR5? Oder is DDR3 enough?

Bigger difference to memory bandwidth is most likely the bitwidth of the video RAM memory bus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom