Potential Memory Leak when adding a large collection of movies (1 Viewer)

MonkeyJug

Portal Member
October 18, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Please tell me. Six days i have spent wasting my life trying to fix this bug. I have replaced ssd, motherboard and today my 3570k cpu and NOTHINg has fixed it. I can't keep throwing money at this problem!!!

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The most common cause I see for this is a corrupt file, or bad header that freaks MediaInfo out.

So you can disable MediaInfo easy via gear option inside MovPic config, or simply rename the mediainfo.dll file in MePo root folder.

To find out corrupt file causing it, do not add 5000 files at once, but do 100 at a time, until you found the cause. If you are able to repeat that 50x without any issues and all 5000 import fine in batches, then your problem is fixed as well.

MonkeyJug

Portal Member
    October 18, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks for the reply. I am getting the exact same issue jasonwc describes, where doing a scan on a client (i have 3) will cause the memory usage on the master server to climb to 15.5gb and never get freed up afterwards...

Would mediainfo still be a viable target to go after if this was a symptom?

I have tried literally everything!!

Last edited:

MonkeyJug

Portal Member
    October 18, 2012
    Home Country
    I disabled mediainfo and tried again - same result.

I then uninstalled Flexraid and created shares manually via windows to each drives' movies folder (I have ten drives in total).

I then ran Moving Pictures and added each drive sequentially, and each drive increased the memory usage proportionally with the amount of movies on that particular share, until it maxed out. Identical symptoms to those of jasonwc a few posts back.

This problem has just about tipped me over the edge! I cannot solve it AT ALL! It just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I disabled mediainfo and tried again - same result.

I then uninstalled Flexraid and created shares manually via windows to each drives' movies folder (I have ten drives in total).

I then ran Moving Pictures and added each drive sequentially, and each drive increased the memory usage proportionally with the amount of movies on that particular share, until it maxed out. Identical symptoms to those of jasonwc a few posts back.

This problem has just about tipped me over the edge! I cannot solve it AT ALL! It just doesn't make sense.

Run procexp.exe and/or filemon.exe tools from SysInternals (now Microsoft) to see what handles are being placed on the drive being scanned. I think you will find you have some 3rd party misbehaving tool/plugin that is causing the memory usage. So search and destroy :)

I remember one user who disabled MediaInfo inside MediaPortal/MovPic/etc, and turned out their VFD had installed a registry entry for auto MediaInfo that ran simulanious in the background causing problems.

ProcExp.exe is the tool I would use first, and while you have MePo running in windows mode causing the memory usage to jump up, do a CTRL+F and look for E:\ (or the drive letter in question), and see what processes have a handle open. Double clicking a handle entry will give you more details, for example the plugin might tie into explorer.exe process and not reveal itself until you dig deeper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom