Power Management (1 Viewer)

jamiro

Portal Pro
July 14, 2007
Home Country
Can anyone help me, or point me in the right direction for setting up power management for Media Portal running XP.

I would like my single seat setup to go into an S3 standby state after a set time of inactivity.
Wake up on input from the remote, or when a recording is scheduled.

I am a little confused between all the power options in the bios, in XP and in MP, including the powerscheduler plugin.

Any help appreciated. Just trying to save some power. :D

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Basically, ensure hibernation is enabled, but make sure that the windows power saving timings are set to "Never" (except maybe the hard drive options so windows can power-save unused hard drives.

Then configure the powerscheduler plug in both the client and server (make sure the same settings are put in both (inactivity time powerdown mode)).

If you want the system to not hibernate if a certain program is active then make sure it is listed in the processes section of the server plugin (you can also stop hibernation based upon a threshold network activity level).

There are a couple of other settings such as "only hibernate on home screen" - which is self explanatory, or "Force hibernation" - which can be used if you have problems getting it to hibernate for any reason.

That is pretty much it. Is should all work fine. If not, then post your logs and people can help more.

Robbo100

jamiro

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks Robbo, your explanation was just what I needed, and it works no problems.

Cheers.

jamiro

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Home Country
    oops I have to amend that there is a problem.

It is a little wierd, the machine seems to be coming out of hibernation to record scheduled recordings, but it only records the first five minutes. I have not been able to actually sit and witness what is happenning, is the machine going back into hibernation after 5 minutes? Or does it just decide to stop recording after 5 minutes? If so why?

I'm using WinXP with a Twinham PCI digital TV card and a Kworld USB dual digital TV card. Hibernation set to 30 minutes in control panel and the powescheduler plugin in MP and MP TV Server also set to 30 minutes. I tried ticking the re-initialise optionin the power scheduler config in MP TVserver, but that didn't solve the problem.

I can post logs later if that helps, just cannot do it now as I'm posting this from another location.

At the moment the Twinham card has the highest prority in the TV server setup, so I gather that means that is the first TV Tuner the Server will use. I might try and change the priority and get the TV server to use the Kworld tuners first and see if that changes things.

If anyone can offer some suggestions I would be grateful. I'm trying to get my power bill down and be more efficient, but if I cannot record I'm going to go back to having the machine on all the time.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom