Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:
:

A little help is required from the tech savvy members of the forum.

Finally I have the power scheduler working and am suitable impressed. It goes into hybernation when not in use and wakes up to record perfectly so far.

However, as I have several clients around the house I now need a way the children can wake the server up to watch tv.

I have looked into making a batch file to send a magic packet using the "wolcmd [mac address] [ip address] [port]" on each client.

BUT... my Windows XP SP3 OS on each computer claimes "wolcmd" is NOT a recongnised command. I have searched the boot drive for a windows exe file but this far have found none.

Anyone able to advise me on the whys wheres and whatfores ?!?

craigparris1

Portal Pro
May 20, 2008
Home Country
It's a little 3rd-party utility, not a built-in Microsoft tool. Looks like you can download it from here:

Depicus

Haven't used it myself before, so you're on your own there. Looks to be plenty of help on that site, though.

Cheers,
Craig

Ausdigital

Portal Pro
September 17, 2008
Home Country
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the link. I have been using the GUI made by Depicus for a few years now to turn on my media centre remotely and vnc into it. But when dealing with children, things need to simple and easy to use.

Hence the need for a batch file, with a shortcut on the desktop.

The "wolcmd" executable file was downloaded here and placed in the same folder as a batch file written as wolcmd [mac address] [ipaddress] [subnet mask] [port].

For example (without the port and masked mac address) mine is - wolcmd.exe xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 192.168.0.253 255.255.255.255

A shortcut is then placed on the desktop of all the clients. It works without fault, wakes up the media center which now resumes after hibernation within a minute.

-----------------------------------

Just had a look at your link.... the exe file is a link at the bottom... well, didn't see that the fist time. excellent observation Craig. thanks.

Ausdigital

Portal Pro
September 17, 2008
Home Country
can't find one with media portal. the batch file i created works well but would be nice if media portal client had the feature to turn on the server if the tv connection was lost.

Iwen

Portal Pro
August 14, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: Power Schedule - Wake on LAN

MP settings > TV > TV Client > Look at the bottom :)

Ausdigital

Portal Pro
September 17, 2008
Home Country
ah found it... never saw that in the multiseat setup.

don't recall that option on my clients running 1.0.2 either... but now that its been pointed out will have to try it out.

cheers Iwen !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom