1.13.0 Power Scheduler not shutting off client (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Guys,

I discovered a PowerScheduler problem this morning on a Win 10 Home x86 client:

• Under Windows the client is entering standby according to the energy settings.
    • Under MP the client is not entering standby (if set up to be controled) by Windows
    • Under MP the client is entering a deeper sleep state than S3 (if set to 'Force standby'). As a result the USB has no power anymore and therefore the client cannot be woken with the remote
    • The client is entering the same deeper sleep state if sent into standby manually from the home screen.
    Hibernate is is deactivated on this system, hence I am uncertain what the underlying problem really is. During the 1.13 testing phases I only tested functions on my test machine, but never verified shutdown processes. The issue must have been introduced with 1.13 at some point because it worked in the past.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @HTPCSourcer
    My gut is telling me that log files are going to be required to investigate the situation you described.

Under MP the client is entering a deeper sleep state than S3 (if set to 'Force standby').
    How do you know it isn't standby?
    [edit: Have you enabled "hybrid sleep"?]

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My gut is telling me that log files are going to be required to investigate the situation you described.
    Yes, they need to be created first though - or otherwise you would comment that they have not been collected in debug mode;). Attached here now.

How do you know it isn't standby?
    [edit: Have you enabled "hybrid sleep"?]
    "Hybrid sleep" is disabled. And as I noted above, when on the desktop the PC is correctly entering standby (as defined in the Windows power settings) and leaves the USB powered. I can see the control light on the IR receiver staying on. I can also see the energy consumption dropping from 11W to 3W while the attached TV displays a message like "no source".

However, when running under MP with PS set to Windows, the system is not shutting off anymore. The attached log is showing this behavior. Idle timer is set to 1 min, Windows power settings are "Screen never off" and "Standby" after 2 min, hence the client should enter standby 3 min after the last user entry, which it doesn't. All that happens is that the TV gets dark at 12:28:55 (just from the MP screen saver, TV not displaying the normal "no source" message). After that no manual interaction has taken place, yet the system remains powered and Mediaportal.log is continously written.

Attachments

• MediaPortal.zip
      23.4 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, they need to be created first though - or otherwise you would comment that they have not been collected in debug mode;). Attached here now.
    Personally I would appreciate it if you could wait until the log files are available before posting, and provide all information at once.
    ...but thank you for the log file.

For the rest of your response: I think you misunderstood my question.
    You said:
    Under MP the client is entering a deeper sleep state than S3

This "deeper sleep state" is what I am asking about. I'm asking how you have determined that it is not standby.

[edit: About the system not entering standby when MP is running...
    Since it is Windows that is responsible for entering standby (and not doing it), I suggest you use the standard Windows tool - powercfg - to debug the situation. What does powercfg say about why the system is not entering standby?]

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This "deeper sleep state" is what I am asking about. I'm asking how you have determined that it is not standby.
    Because it is different from the Windows behavior: USB and the control light on the PC are shut off, while they remain on if standby is entered from the desktop.

While I have not been able to resolve the problem, it has in the meantime - unfortunately - become obsolete. I wanted to verify the BIOS settings, changed one element and did Save and Exit. The result was that the PC (HTPC2 - Justop -G) doesn't boot anymore and I can't enter the BIOS either because the USB ports appear to not have power (no light on the IR receiver), hence no possibility to press "Delete".

I removed the battery on the mainboard, then waited some 15-20 min, without change. So it looks as if I have bricked the little toy.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So it looks as if I have bricked the little toy.
    I'm very sorry to read that. On Christmas day no less! :cry:

Because it is different from the Windows behavior: USB and the control light on the PC are shut off, while they remain on if standby is entered from the desktop.
    If you had disabled hibernate and hybrid sleep as you say, then AFAIK that only leaves 2 other possible power saving states: sleep (AKA standby) and away mode. If I am correct, of the 2 states that you described, the second one sounds more like away mode.
    All of this is complete guess-work on my part.

I hope you manage to resurrect the machine. :sick::coffee:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm very sorry to read that. On Christmas day no less! :cry:
    Yeah, a nice Xmas gift. Why on earth am I playing with a running system though :mad:

If you had disabled hibernate and hybrid sleep as you say, then AFAIK that only leaves 2 other possible power saving states: sleep (AKA standby) and away mode. If I am correct, of the 2 states that you described, the second one sounds more like away mode.
    As I said the WIndows S3 mode was working correctly, bringing the power consumption down from around 9W to some 3W. With MediaPortal sending the PC into standby it got into a state where USB ports were no longer powered. If this is away mode, then there has been something wrong with it.

I hope you manage to resurrect the machine. :sick::coffee:
    So far no success. I've contacted the Justop support in the UK but am not very optimistic that they will react. Anyway nothing is going to happen before Jan 4th.

I may just buy a new one...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I found a thread that talks about a similar issue with similar hardware where somebody cut himself out by disabling the USB controller. The only solution was to send the unit back to the manufacturer to get the BIOS reflashed.

It's a pity, but fortunately at a price of 90 GBP not a financial disaster. Yet I do not particularly like burning my money :whistle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom