PowerScheduler++ 1.4.0.x - Stable versions for MediaPortal 1.4 (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've actually got one of those master/slave powerplugs that I've been struggling to find a use for and an old 100Mbit hub somewhere, which will be fine for the Pi as that only has 100Mb Ethernet anyway, so this will actually be a cost-free solution for me :)
    I use this hardware with my Dell XPS 420 HTPC to solve a different problem. The Dell has defective motherboard BIOS, with the result that one of the tuner cards disappears from "Device Manager" on wake from sleep. But both tuner cards are present and work correctly on wake from hibernation. The problem with hibernation is that the remote control cannot be used to wake the system.

To circumvent this limitation, I programmed the remote control (a One-for-All "Essence 4" ) so that the power button on the remote operates the TV, and the TV controls the mains-power master/slave switch, which powers the network hub connected to the HTPC. When the TV is switched on, the network hub powers up, and the HTPC detects the activity on the network connection, causing the HTPC to wake from hibernation. It is slower than waking from sleep (40 seconds compared to about 4 seconds), but apart from that it works very well. And, of course, hibernation consumes less power (less than 1 watt for hibernation, compared to about 9 watts for sleep on my Dell).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom