PowerScheduler++ 1.4.0.x - Stable versions for MediaPortal 1.4 (1 Viewer)

daniel_1980

Portal Pro
August 19, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
Peaks in CPU Load

Hello,

I have been using PowerScheduler++ for a long time and it was working great.

But since I updated MP to 1.2.1 and activated the updated PowerScheduler++, MP is no longer usable.
The reason is that "TVService.exe" has cyclic peaks in the CPU load up to 98% (measured with Windows Task-Manager) that occur with the period set in "Check interval" when PowerScheduler++ is enabled.
When PowerScheduler++ is disabled the "TVService.exe" never has more than 8% CPU load.
Stuttering playback occurs with the CPU load peaks.

Playing with the priority of the the TV service makes watching videos or recordings possible, but watching live TV is impossible.

The versions 1.2.1.0, 1.2.1.1, 1.2.5.0 behave the same.

I did not have these issues mith MP 1.1.3 and the corresponding version of PowerScheduler++.

So my questions are:
- What are you doing in the check interval that needs much computation?
- Could this be just a configuration issue / could my problem be solved by disabling the runtime critical functionality?
- Do you need logs? Can you see stuttering TV in the logs/ do the logs include the CPU load?
- How can I uninstall PowerScheduler++, so that the "out-of-the-box" PowerScheduler reappears in the plugins? It is gone when I uninstall via the "Extension Installer" tool.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

michael_t

Portal Pro
November 30, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: Peaks in CPU Load

Hello,

I have been using PowerScheduler++ for a long time and it was working great.

But since I updated MP to 1.2.1 and activated the updated PowerScheduler++, MP is no longer usable.
The reason is that "TVService.exe" has cyclic peaks in the CPU load up to 98% (measured with Windows Task-Manager) that occur with the period set in "Check interval" when PowerScheduler++ is enabled.
When PowerScheduler++ is disabled the "TVService.exe" never has more than 8% CPU load.
Stuttering playback occurs with the CPU load peaks.

Playing with the priority of the the TV service makes watching videos or recordings possible, but watching live TV is impossible.

The versions 1.2.1.0, 1.2.1.1, 1.2.5.0 behave the same.

I did not have these issues mith MP 1.1.3 and the corresponding version of PowerScheduler++.

So my questions are:
- What are you doing in the check interval that needs much computation?
- Could this be just a configuration issue / could my problem be solved by disabling the runtime critical functionality?
- Do you need logs? Can you see stuttering TV in the logs/ do the logs include the CPU load?
- How can I uninstall PowerScheduler++, so that the "out-of-the-box" PowerScheduler reappears in the plugins? It is gone when I uninstall via the "Extension Installer" tool.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel
The PS++ plugin has no difference in its internal logic among the versions 1.3.x, 1.7.x, 1.8.x and 2.1.x. But - there was a big change to version 2.5.x. So I have no explanation at the moment for the issues described. Anyway it would be good to have logs to eliminate misconfigurations or errors by other tvservice modules or plugins and to reproduce your scenario.

Michael

daniel_1980

Portal Pro
August 19, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
Re: AW: Peaks in CPU Load

Thanks for the quick response.
Here are the most recent logs from mp and tv server.
I hope I didn't forget anything.

I had about 2 minutes of stuttering tv during the time the logs were written.

michael_t

Portal Pro
November 30, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: PowerScheduler++ 1.2.1.1 - Stable version for MediaPortal 1.2.1 FINAL

I could not find any abnormality in your log files. It is totally mysterious to me.

@all: Does anyone else running MP 1.2.1 on Windows XP experience similar problems?

daniel_1980: You should do a step by step analysis to isolate the problem:
  1. Change the PS++ check interval to some other value than 15 seconds (e.g. 25 seconds) to be sure that it is PS++ and not another plugin with a 15 second interval that causes CPU load.
  2. Deactivate all tv server plugins except PowerScheduler++ and have a look at the task manager...
  3. Deactivate all PowerScheduler wakeup and standby handlers (EPG, Reboot, Network, Processes, ...) as far as possible and also deactivate the "Powerscheduler forces system to standby" option. Do not(!) start the MP client. Have a look at the task manager. If everything is idling now, then activate your options one by one until you find the one causing your high CPU load.
  4. If CPU load is still high, uninstall PS++ and try the builtin PowerScheduler.
  5. If still no success: :confused: (We will see then...)
Michael

daniel_1980

Portal Pro
August 19, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
Re: AW: PowerScheduler++ 1.2.1.1 - Stable version for MediaPortal 1.2.1 FINAL

Hi Michael,

it's the option "Wakeup system for various events".

With any other of my options switched on except this one, the cpu load of the tv service is maximum 24% and live tv is smooth.

This leads to 2 questions:
- Won't the machine wakeup for recordings without this option? Automatic sleep mode is not that important for me, most important is the scheduled recording.
- Why does the plugin worry about waking up always when checking if it should stay awake or go to sleep? From my naive point of view it should just check when it has to wake up next time and prepare the system for that once before going to sleep.

Do you know anything about my problem with uninstalling your plugin? The "normal" PowerScheduler does not appear in the list of plugins (in tv service, in mp it appears) after I uninstall the PowerScheduler++.

Anyway, thanks for your support so far!

Edit:
Just to clarify I want to add that the mentioned option switched on alone with all other options switched off already causes the peaks.
I think my above sentence could be misunderstood

Attachments

• option.JPG
    option.JPG
    59.5 KB

michael_t

Portal Pro
November 30, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: Re: AW: PowerScheduler++ 1.2.1.1 - Stable version for MediaPortal 1.2.1 FINAL

Thank you for your report. The option is needed that the system wakes up for any event including scheduled recordings. So it is no real option to disable this permanently, but your report gave me a hint where to look for the bug.

So let's go on:
(Re-)Enable the "Wakeup system for various events" and do not run the MP client. Is there CPU load again?
What if you disable all "Wakeup ..." options in the various PS++ configuration tabs (e.g. Wakeup for EPG, Wakeup for Reboot, ...) and Client still not running?

Uninstalling PowerScheduler++ should reinstall the original PowerScheduler. If it does not work you should uninstall and then reinstall the MP TV service (or in your case upgrade to MP 1.2.1 which will also reinstall the original PowerScheduler).

Michael

wolfi_b

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

Hi,

i have done a fresh Win/MePo installation and now i have installed PowerScheduler++ 1.2.1.1 (i have used 1.1.8.0 previously).

Now i have the problem that Powerscheduler++ only allows standby when Radio or TV are not running. Is this a new "feature"?

Wolfgang

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi,

i have done a fresh Win/MePo installation and now i have installed PowerScheduler++ 1.2.1.1 (i have used 1.1.8.0 previously).

Now i have the problem that Powerscheduler++ only allows standby when Radio or TV are not running. Is this a new "feature"?

Wolfgang
    PS++ 1.2.1.1 is exactly the same version as PS++ 1.1.8.0 besides the bug fix for the network monitor threshold. Powerscheduler(++) only allows idle timeout standby when Radio or TV are not running, since otherwise your PC would go to standby while you are watching tv or listening radio. This is PowerScheduler(++) behaviour since ever.
    Or do you mean that you cannot go to standby manually / with your remote while Radio or TV are running? Then you should check if you have really installed PowerScheduler++, since this is the behavior of the standard PowerScheduler since MP 1.2.x. Have a look into the MP and TV server configuration to check the correct PowerScheduler version. If you are sure you are running PS++ 1.2.1.1 please send log files of the situation and describe exactly what you are doing.

Michael

wolfi_b

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

Or do you mean that you cannot go to standby manually / with your remote while Radio or TV are running?
    exactly;)

Then you should check if you have really installed PowerScheduler++, since this is the behavior of the standard PowerScheduler since MP 1.2.x. Have a look into the MP and TV server configuration to check the correct PowerScheduler version. If you are sure you are running PS++ 1.2.1.1 please send log files of the situation and describe exactly what you are doing.
    You were right, PS++ was only installed on Client side (Single Seat). I have reinstalled it and no it works :D

But i have now idea how this could have happened:confused:

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Re: PowerScheduler++ 1.2.1.1 - Stable version for MediaPortal 1.2.1 FINAL

Hi

Tonight I went to bed when one recording was running.
    In the morning I saw that my single-seat-system was running.
    I looked into the locks and saw that the system was running the whole night with
    "ControllerActiveHandler: prevents standby and power off" but I don't know what this means.

So, what does the ControllerActiveHandler look for?

Thanks for help

Attachments

• ps_controller_handler.txt
      1.1 MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom