PowerScheduler doesn't wake PC for TV recording (1 Viewer)

Tucker76

Portal Member
February 5, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi,

I'm a newcomer and just installed MePo 1.10 on a Windows 8 machine. It's a single seat configuration, used primarily for TV watching and recording on my desktop. I have gone through the setup guide on the wiki page and have almost everything working, including the WebEPG grabber. I am having a problem with the PowerScheduler. After selecting a program to record, and putting the PC into standby mode, the computer never wakes up to do the recording. I can record any programs if the computer is active.

I have looked through several posts on this forum and see that others have had similar issues. I have checked that any suggestions posted in responses are set correctly on my system. My system is enable to wake timers and the PowerScheduler is enabled and configured on the client and server.

I'm up loading the log files and hope someone can point me to setting that I have missed.

Thanks.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello and welcome to the MediaPortal Forum!

WebEPG is not configured correctly:
    [PS StandbyWakeup] [ERROR] - WebEPG: no valid next wakeup date for EPG grabbing found!

Regarding the wakeup for scheduled recordings your log is showing MediaPortal to correctly scheduling PC wakeups:
    [2015-02-05 09:23:01,515] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: SetWakeupTimer()
    [2015-02-05 09:23:01,515] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: Inspecting Scheduled Recordings: 2/5/2015 9:29:00 AM
    [2015-02-05 09:23:01,515] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: Inspecting EPG Grabbing: 2/8/2015 5:30:00 AM
    [2015-02-05 09:23:01,515] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [ERROR] - WebEPG: no valid next wakeup date for EPG grabbing found!
    [2015-02-05 09:23:01,546] [Log ] [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: Set wakeup timer to wakeup system at 2/5/2015 9:28:00 AM
    You are then manually putting your PC to sleep. Sadly it is indeed not waking up.

The scheduler is simply adding entries to the Windows Task Planner. You may want to check if your planned recordings actually create entries there. If yes, which I assume is the case, the problem is in the BIOS where you might not have allowed all the necessary events.

Tucker76

Portal Member
    February 5, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks HTPC_Sourcer,

I checked to see if setting a recording adds any entry in the Windows Task Scheduler list. It does not. Just for clarification, did you mean the "Windows Task Scheduler" or the "Windows Task Planner" in your reply? Does MePo create a special folder in the Scheduler, a la "Apple" or "MediaPortal", or does it create the entry in the main Task Scheduler Library pane?

I run Nero BackItUp on this system and I can see and edit the entries it adds as backups are defined and scheduled. And the back ups run on the set schedule without problems. My system is a multi-boot config and I use Windows Media Center on another OS partition, and it is recording fine from a standby mode, so I think my BIOS settings are OK. I will check them again to be sure there isn't some setting I'm missing

I'll continue poking around this scheduler issue. Can you tell me where and under what name MePo adds entries to the Scheduler?

Thanks

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

Just to be sure: PowerScheduler in TV Server Configuration is enabled and shows active wakeup like here:
    PS.JPG

The task scheduler (taskschc.msc) is showing this scheduled wakeup time here:
    Start.JPG

If you get similar entries then MePo is scheduling correctly and the problem resides in wrong BIOS settings.

Regards,
    HTPC_Sourcer

schwarzrz

Portal Pro
    May 23, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi

The task scheduler (taskschc.msc) is showing this scheduled wakeup time here:
    Start.JPG
    How far in advance are these entries shown: Just on the same day or some days in future? I mean I have two scheduled records on 11th Feb. and they are not shown in the Taskmanager.

Thanks in advance

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    How far in advance are these entries shown
    Each scheduled recording is getting its own task in the scheduler. However, above view is consolidated and you will only see one entry (the next one). Further details are hidden under "multiple triggers are defined".

Tucker76

Portal Member
    February 5, 2015
    Home Country
    HTPC_Sourcer,

I am still trying to get the scheduling problem resolved. After checking your suggestion above, I find that when I set a recording for a future date, it shows up in the Power Scheduler tab, as you can see below.

upload_2015-2-15_16-43-1.png

However, it is never scheduled in the Windows Task Scheduler (as you show in your example above) and so the computer never wakes to kick off the recording task.

upload_2015-2-15_16-37-34.png

I have other programs running on my system that rely of the task scheduler to kick them off from standby mode, and they run, so my BIOS settings are OK. Any idea where to look to see why a tasking isn't getting scheduled in Windows? I am having the problem in Win 8.0, Win 8.1, and in the above example, Win 10 Tech. Preview.

Thanks again.

Tucker76

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-15_16-35-34.png
      upload_2015-2-15_16-35-34.png
      27 KB

Tucker76

Portal Member
    February 5, 2015
    Home Country
    I got a little further tonight. By using the command powercfg /waketimers, I was able to see that the recording event was scheduled, just doesn't show up in the Windows Task Scheduler window.

upload_2015-2-15_19-10-0.png

I checked my power settings and Allow Wake Timers is enabled. Still, the PC does not wake up to do the recording. When I wake the PC manually, the recording will start from that point in time and continue to the end of the show.

So while the Power Scheduler is sending the recording info to Windows, something in the Task Scheduler isn't getting set up right.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please look at the same location decribed in my posting above using taskschc.msc and check the task summary.

Tucker76

Portal Member
    February 5, 2015
    Home Country
    HTPC_Sourcer, let me first say "Thank You" for sticking with me on this frustrating problem. I'm attaching screen grabs from a Windows 8.0 system. I have just scheduled a TV recording for a half hour from now. Here's the TV Server Power Scheduler window.

upload_2015-2-16_9-31-15.png

Here are results from the powercfg /waketimers command:

upload_2015-2-16_9-32-46.png

and finally, here is the window from the active tasks of the Task Scheduler:

upload_2015-2-16_9-35-1.png

As you can see, there is no "Next Run Time" for the "Scheduled Start" entry. The "Scheduled Start" entry is listed, but with no "Next Run Time" set.

upload_2015-2-16_9-38-7.png

I have to conclude this is where the problem is, but have no clue, YET, as to why it is happening. Could there be a setting in the TV Server I'm missing. Since I have an ASTC tuner card, Ceton InfiniTV 4, I'm relying on the WebEPG plugin to grab the EPG info periodically, and Power Scheduler to schedule the grabbing and any future TV recording. Neither the EPG grabbing or the recording will start if the PC is in sleep mode (S3). Both run fine if the PC is awake. So how does an entry get set in the "Scheduled Start" Task? A wake timer is scheduled by Power Scheduler, and the log seems to indicate that its effort to scheduled a task returned with a normal completion (see the log in my original post). But only half the job was completed?

I have tried this scenario on three different systems, Win 8.0, Win 8.1, and Win 10 TP, all with the same results.

Thanks again, sorry for the lengthy post.

Tucker76

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom