[Approved] Powerscheduler network monitoring (share + traffic) (2 Viewers)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    1. The reason for the 1 s timer is that the download and upload speed is calculated as dlValue - dlValueOld [values in bytes], and since we calculate the speed each second we get bytes/s directly. It should be possible to increase the timeout to some extent and calculate the speed as (dlValue - dlValueOld) / timeout. However, the timeout should not be too high since the average speed under e.g 1 min could be much lower than the peaks.

How about using Windows Management Instrumentation? I assume that it is able to provide some history data so you wouldn't have to using such high polling rate (polling is always bad, especially with media applications...).

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I have no knowledge in WMI so I can't really answer to the question. When I did the patch I did some reading and network performance counters was the general suggestion. I agree to that the 1s timeout could be a little too aggressive...

/j

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Patch is now in SVN 23658. I have made the network activity polling interval configurable through a constant and changed it to 10 sec. If that value is not appropriate, we can either change it later or make it configurable from SetupTV. Also in the future I would like the user to have some kind of auto configuration. Eg the user would make sure only idle network activity is present and press the auto configure button. The setup would then measure the peak activity over a specific time period (say 1 min) then use that value increased by a certain amount (say 10%) as a safety margin.

JBravo: Please provide documentation for the new features to be added in the wiki.

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks a lot, arion_p.

I will provide updates for the wiki, can I post it here?

/j

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have been looking for a reliable shutdown/wake-up function ever since I went to a server/client set-up.

I have tried quite a few power management utilities to get this done. The only one that I could find to work is "auto shutdown manager", there is a free trail, but I find $ 49,- per PC in a four PC set-up a little too steep.

Therefore I followed this post with interest. I have studied the posts and now the updated wiki and still don't understand. :confused: Could some-one give a summary of where this stands?

Some of the many questions I still have:

- As of which MP version is this implemented for?

- The wiki says "Currently the only fully supported setup is a single seat setup" is that still true?

- Which plug-ins do I need in the client and in the sever to make this work in a server/client set-up (if it is possible at all)?

- The TV-client now can send a WOL to the TV-server to wake it up (so there is client/server functionality), if that is enabled does it also send a heartbeat to keep it awake (maybe a stupid question, what would be the point of the wake-up if it doesn't)?

- Is the TV-server plugin always monitoring this heartbeat, or is that to be set-up with the network monitoring now included in the TV-server power scheduler configuration?

- In this post there is also mention of an application that could be used on a media-server (not running MP client or server) to wake that up and to keep that awake if an MP client is up. Does that now exist? Does it monitor the TV-client (MP-client) heartbeat? I think it should monitor a client heartbeat, else it would wake up when I start watching TV, but would possibly be down again when I change to Videos. Or it might go down when I pause a video to take a bite.

I feel like a small child, I love MP but with every improvement or additional function, I just want more. Forgive me ;)

VdR

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Patch is now in SVN 23658, and will probably be included in the next MP1.1 beta.

You can download patches for MP 1.0.2 here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-development-no-feature-request-here-48/patch-power-scheduler-multiseat-addon-wol-52155/

The wiki needs some more updates...when MP1.1 is relased multi-seat will be fully supported.

You new PowerScheduler Client plugin activated on client side and PowerScheduler Server plugin activated on the server side, as explained in the wiki. And of course the TVplugin.

The TVplugin wakes the server, and the PS Client plugin keeps the server alive.

The Network Monitor on server side is to keep the server alive when there are remote users accessing other network services than the tv server.

There is no support for external media-servers/clients.

/j

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thank you for that quick reply.

I'm still on 1.0.1, it's stable and I didn't want to update until 1.1.0 is ready. Will the version for 1.0.2 work on 1.0.1, should I even try?

I'm out of luck with the media-server. It is currently separate from the TV-server and I didn't want to move the TV cards until I update to 1.1.0. Unless I install the TV-server on the media server without using it for anything else but power scheduling?

Great plug-in, :D

VdR

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom