Practical Way for Porting MP to Linux (1 Viewer)

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
In its present state this is possible but when the engine is changed to use WPF as its backend you'll be presented with another massive effort. Hopefully it will be possible for WPF/E to solve the problem.

WPF?

WPF = Windows Presentation Foundation. Essentially its similar to xgl (I think...) on linux and Core Animation on Macs.

So instead of communicating directly with DirectX as we do now, we communicate with WPF, which offers a much larger range of tools and classes than we can ever hope to have implemented on our own, giving us the ability to make nicer UIs. WPF then communicates with DirectX.

WPF/E = Windows Presentation Foundation Everywhere. It is essentially a stripped-down version of WPF designed to work on PDAs, inside all web-browsers as a plugin etc. Think of it as similar to Adobe Flash.

Sam

leo212

Portal Pro
November 30, 2005
WPF

I really don't understand why would MP Developers like to work with that WPF, the current GUI is looking good and its stable. isn't it better to spend that amount of work and time by imporving MP and add new features?
anyway, if the GUI engine will change, I guess I'll have to follow and convert it to the open-source equivalent for WPF (if there is any)

leo212

Portal Pro
November 30, 2005
At first - maybe focus on getting a Client for the MP TV-Server done - that might help linux users watch tv from their MP TV Server.
As I understood MPClient will be ready in the next release of MP.
until then, there is plenty of work to do here.

LordMessi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 4, 2005
    Ørsø, Dronninglund, Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    At first - maybe focus on getting a Client for the MP TV-Server done - that might help linux users watch tv from their MP TV Server.

Yes, the MPClient will be....but I meant for your programming!! Do a linux client for the MP TV Server instead of converting the whole thing - which I think is abit waste of time.

leo212

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2005

Yes, the MPClient will be....but I meant for your programming!! Do a linux client for the MP TV Server instead of converting the whole thing - which I think is abit waste of time.

the idea is to convert only the client. it will much difficult and a waste of time to create a new client, the MP Client has great GUI and we'll want to see it running on linux...

kerpow

Portal Member
    June 1, 2006
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Hi, I know you are less interested in a debate and more interested in help... but :) .....

Am I missing something here, doesn't Linux lend itself best to the server and not the client? From my point of view finding a way to replace the server by either making an bridge to an existing Linux PVR app (like MythTV) or creating one from VLC + MySQL + pearl would be a better way forward.

Sooooooo much work has gone into the MP client, its quite complex, and I don't want to see plug-ins (games, skype, etc etc etc) that only work on Windows or Linux. On the other hand the server only handles TV, and seems on the face of it a more reasonable chunk to bite.

I guess most people in the Linux world would be a little surprised to see Linux used for a client to a Windows server :p Sorry did I miss the point, I am quite tired today.

:)

Thoughts?

arkay

Portal Member
    June 20, 2006
    In terms of porting and WPF etc is it not counter intuitive to attempt to emulate a Windows API to gain functionality in Linux?

To my way of thinking, if you are writing a client, the only thing you need to get right is the interfaces to the server.

It makes sense to use what is portable between the two (a.k.a the skins themselves etc), but how you choose to render them in linux and indeed what the client is written in should be totally independant of the windows version?

Mono is a smart choice if it truly tanslates to .net but I think there is too much emphasis these days on the language used as apposed to the code written.

For instance mono may be good, it may be a perfect .net clone but I would assume that the API's and classes supplied by MS are NOT available as equivalents in linux.

My point is "lets not try to bring windows to linux", rather lets make linux work for us.

Cheers,

Arkay.

leo212

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2005
    Am I missing something here, doesn't Linux lend itself best to the server and not the client? From my point of view finding a way to replace the server by either making an bridge to an existing Linux PVR app (like MythTV) or creating one from VLC + MySQL + pearl would be a better way forward.

Sooooooo much work has gone into the MP client, its quite complex, and I don't want to see plug-ins (games, skype, etc etc etc) that only work on Windows or Linux. On the other hand the server only handles TV, and seems on the face of it a more reasonable chunk to bite.
    :)
    Thoughts?
    People love the GUI of MediaPortal and the mythtv server works great for linux, so if the Mp-Client will be running on linux and will be able to connect to mythtv-server, that will be enough for most of the users. after all, a lot of work has been spended on mythtv-server (drivers, etc...) it is a waste to do that again.
    but lets leave it for now, the WPF isue seems to be a big threat on this project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom